SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Today I am going to finalize my SLK55 order!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK55 2003 Acura MDX
Question Today I am going to finalize my SLK55 order!

Yesterday my dealer called and said he just got allocation for the SLK55 and because I was first on the list in Vancouver (Canada) we should get together and finalize my order. I have an appointment with him today in about an hour. But I am not really sure if I want a SLK55 this year or next year or not at all! I am getting more and more certain that in about a year MB is going to put their new 410 hp 5.5L V8 (4 valves per cylinder!) in the SLK55. Also, there's this thing called C6 Z06 Vette! The base C6 Vette is already nuts (Autoweek)! The C6 Z06 will have around 500 hp and 500 ib-ft of torque with a curb weight less than 3100 pounds with a cost around US$50,000 (same or even less than SLK55)! And all the major magazines (Motortrend, Autoweek, Road and Track, Automobile...) praised the C6 very highly. In fact they all had hard time to find anythin wrong with it!

I know a Vette is not a SLK55. But for the money it is one hell of a deal! Hell, the C6 Z06 will probably hold its own against a Gallerdo, F360 or even a 911 Tourbo! And thoes things are realy exotic beasts!

In any case I will finalize my order with a subjet to a test drive. This way I get my deposit back if I don't want it.

Help me out guys/ladies! What should I do? Any news of the upcoming 410hp 5.5L V8?
Old 08-13-2004, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 MB SLK 55 AMG
Smile decisions decision

Teufel,
the new engine is 100%, complete theory at this point. True, Mercedes WILL replace their 24valve engines next year, but the SLK has not been mentioned for this 'upgrade'. My guess would be that the (announced) E, S and CL classes will get it first. Obviously Mercedes won't be making both engines in parallel for long, but SLK55's aren't even sold in the US until November 4th - they won't replace the engine within a few months.

Now, I think it's realistic to think that the SLK55 will get the 32v in calendar year 2006; again, Mercedes just won't make 24v for cost reasons anymore. But it's the same for computers, electronics, what have you: You'll never be on the cutting edge for too long. Does that make the current engine bad ? I don't think so; the 55 is a proven engine at this point.

As for the Vette.... Come on - it's an american car ;-) Sure, it's a lot of bang for the buck, but so is a Mustang and they'll fall apart after 2 years. Just my opinion of course, but I owned a 93 Vette, bought new, had Mustangs, but have bought Porsche since 97. No comparison. Are the Germans flawless ? Of course not. But they are built better than Chevy's I can tell you. I personally am not crazy about the Vette's design either. In the end, why don't you testdrive both before making a decision ?

CHeers,
Dan.