SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Autocar review SLK55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
987S
Exclamation Autocar review SLK55

My friendly UK Merc dealer sent me an email yesterday saying that Autocar magazine has a full review of the SLK55...... unfortunately I couldn't find anywhere today that still had a copy available.

Does anyone have a copy they could scan and post?

Old 10-06-2004, 05:01 PM
Almost a Member!

Hi All,

I happen to be in London this week on business and did see a previous message mentioning the review of the SLK 55 would be in the current Autocar issue. I had a chance to stop by a local market which had a copy of the issue. With high anticipation I found the "review" in the magazine and it was one page in length. Hardly what I would call a review.

Basically the article stated that the SLK 55 is now the top performing vehicle in its class (Boxster) and also compared its performance with the new Porsche 997. Article made special mention of the wonderful exhaust sound that emanates from this vehicle. They stated that this is the best steering SLK that Mercedes has produced but still falls short of the Boxster. Brakes were complemented and the handling of the car was rated very positively. Though they did mention that one could "feel" the road conditions quite clearly which I intrepreted to mean that the suspension is quite firm in nature. They also mentioned that an even firmer suspension option is available for customers here in Europe and it was called the Nurenber.. (not really sure how to spell it - but it's referring to the famous testing track in Germany) suspension. One nit was that they were concerned with the lack of storage space available in the car.

Overall a very positive writeup but hardly what I would call a "review" in the normal use of the word. Not enough value for me to purchase the magazine.

That's about what I can recall of the article.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:12 PM

987S
Thanks..... sounds promising!
Old 10-07-2004, 03:47 AM

W210 E320, SLK55 AMG
One thing they said was that there would only be 200 cars for the UK market next year.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:36 AM

987S
Originally Posted by steve-p
One thing they said was that there would only be 200 cars for the UK market next year.
Luck I'm 181 on the waiting list although I may have to drop my place if they can't deliver the car by October as thats when I MUST change my car (end of a 3 year lease).