SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK55 Killer....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK55 2003 Acura MDX
New information from the 2005 Detroit Auto Show:

Aluminum Chassis - Magnesium & Carbon Fiber Parts - 3100 pounds - 325/30 ZR 19 Rear Tires - 500 hp & 475 pound- feet of Torque - 7000 rpm Revving - 200+ mph? - US$80,000 (CRAZY!!!!!)

I really had a hard time deciding between the SLK55 and the Z06. But once I saw the new Corvette and the SLK350 at the Seattle Auto Show, I knew for sure that I wanted the SLK55. The Corvette just looked and felt like crap! Now that I know the Z06 costs US$80,000, I am even more certain I don’t want the Z06.

Originally Posted by EKaru
500hp and 3000 lbs. is just craziness...

Old 01-11-2005, 03:23 PM

I wouldn't dismiss the Z06 so out of hand...

the SLK and Z06 have different purposes and each do them well...

The Z06 is an incredible value for the performance and can outperform about anything on the road...

I would be curious to see the difference in insurance rates between the Z06/SLK 55 AMG...
Old 01-11-2005, 03:56 PM

05 E500
I really had a hard time deciding between the SLK55 and the Z06. But once I saw the new Corvette and the SLK350 at the Seattle Auto Show, I knew for sure that I wanted the SLK55. The Corvette just looked and felt like crap! Now that I know the Z06 costs US$80,000, I am even more certain I don’t want the Z06.
First of all, the Z06 will likely not cost "$80K." The base will likely be in the low $60's and the loaded ones might top the early to mid $70's.

But this is a supercar!

You cannot compare any SLK to this!

The Z06 will run with the SL65 and not far behind SLR.

At best, the SLk55 should be compared to the base Corvette with either the magnetic shock option (for comfort and diversity) or the Z51 Performance Package for spirited drivers. Not really the Z06.

MB prides itself on fit and finish and name-brand prestige (now if only their quality reports could live up to the labeling...) while Corvette has a performance first mindset with minimal bells as whistles, although this year these cars are really loaded up (including some options that MB lacks).

Corvette never intended to be 'richly' appointed like SLK. Its buyers are different.

Besides, many do not feel that Corvette "looks and feels like crap" and until you actually see a Z06 and can give a fair comparison of the Z06 appointments, this is nothing more than you justifying your particular desire of the SLK55.

While the typical SLK55 buyer will see a Z06 on the streets and say 'it has crappy interior materials,' etc (which is not at all really true), the typical Z06 buyer will say about the SLK55 to 'take its snobbish, overpriced Euro-car and step aside while the real sportscar demands the road space.'

I participate in both forums. I hear it both ways everyday.

Z06 buyers will contend that until you can move up into an SL600, AMG 65 and beyond, then you would not understand the need for real performance which the SLK (in any variety) falls well short of. The Z06 is a supercar. If you want to talk about price, then they will counter that 'no one gouges auto pricing like MB. Therefore, compare Z51 against SLK55. The Vette is less money and outperforms MB, interior appointments notwithstanding, and does SLK have heads-up display, personal gaging and liquid-filled shocks?'

The buying market for these cars is different.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:49 PM

You understood me wrong! Don't get me wrong, I love the performance aspect of the Corvette and the bang for the buck aspect. But what comes down to is money. That is how you compare cars when you are in the market to buy a car. For example, I wanted to spend about C$100,000 in total (tax and options included) on a brand new car (I ended up paying about C$110,000!). So, I checked out this year and next year market (2005 & 2006) for all the available vehicles at C$100,000 range. I decided I wanted a high performance two seater (coupe OR convertible). My choices were the SLk55, MZ4, Z06... I really wanted the Z06 until I saw it (new Vette) at the Seattle Auto Show close to the SLK350. TO ME the Corvette looked like crap! You are absolutely right to someone else the SLK55 could look like crap or just a BS car. Everybody is different!

Also, I saw a full test report on BBC's "Top Gear" on the new Corvette. I know the British/Europeans don't think much of American cars but I was surprised to see that their opinion was very similar to mine. They loved the performance but they hated the quality. One funny part was when he pushed the rear fender with his hand and the fender was moving 4" in and out!

The Motortrend website is showing the BASE price for the Z06 at US$80k. I think they are right.

One can not compare the Z06 to a SL65, SLR, 911Turbo … just based on performance numbers. A $30k supercharged second hand Mustang could keep up with all those cars! But it does not mean anything!
I agree with the rest of your points.

Originally Posted by c2jones
First of all, the Z06 will likely not cost "$80K." The base will likely be in the low $60's and the loaded ones might top the early to mid $70's.

But this is a supercar!

You cannot compare any SLK to this!

The Z06 will run with the SL65 and not far behind SLR.

At best, the SLk55 should be compared to the base Corvette with either the magnetic shock option (for comfort and diversity) or the Z51 Performance Package for spirited drivers. Not really the Z06.

MB prides itself on fit and finish and name-brand prestige (now if only their quality reports could live up to the labeling...) while Corvette has a performance first mindset with minimal bells as whistles, although this year these cars are really loaded up (including some options that MB lacks).

Corvette never intended to be 'richly' appointed like SLK. Its buyers are different.

Besides, many do not feel that Corvette "looks and feels like crap" and until you actually see a Z06 and can give a fair comparison of the Z06 appointments, this is nothing more than you justifying your particular desire of the SLK55.

While the typical SLK55 buyer will see a Z06 on the streets and say 'it has crappy interior materials,' etc (which is not at all really true), the typical Z06 buyer will say about the SLK55 to 'take its snobbish, overpriced Euro-car and step aside while the real sportscar demands the road space.'

I participate in both forums. I hear it both ways everyday.

Z06 buyers will contend that until you can move up into an SL600, AMG 65 and beyond, then you would not understand the need for real performance which the SLK (in any variety) falls well short of. The Z06 is a supercar. If you want to talk about price, then they will counter that 'no one gouges auto pricing like MB. Therefore, compare Z51 against SLK55. The Vette is less money and outperforms MB, interior appointments notwithstanding, and does SLK have heads-up display, personal gaging and liquid-filled shocks?'

The buying market for these cars is different.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:56 PM

05 E500
Don't get me wrong, I love the performance aspect of the Corvette and the bang for the buck aspect. But what comes down to is money. That is how you compare cars when you are in the market to buy a car. For example, I wanted to spend about C$100,000 in total (tax and options included) on a brand new car (I ended up paying about C$110,000!)
Okay. But if you're looking for a "performance" aspect and its about "the money," then why are you having grievances with the Corvette? The purpose of Corvette is bang for the buck. If you have demands on "cars not looking and feeling like crap," then for the same money you could have Aston Martin's new AMV8 which prices at the figure you mention. It looks great with all its fine appointments and if you're adamant about the luxury thing, that's your type of car. I am also considering the choice of AMV8 with Z06. But I'm under no illusions as to which one will be the most "anti-crap looking" and which one is a true performance car.

If you feel that SLk55 gives you the happy medium, then so be it. But my translation was that you were simply trying to justify the lessor price tag. If one has a fixed budget for a car, some of those people will find reasons to bash every car they might really like, but cannot (or will not) afford to comfort them in their priced-restrictive decisions.

The Z06 is a heck of a car, irrespective of your personal impressions. I like its interior, even if it trails the MB in *some* ways. (Z06 has a nice heads-up display and other, advanced features which holds its rank. Seats look similar to SLk55. Have you seen them yet?)

(Seat photo is on page 3 - you can upload high res.)

http://vorlon.case.edu/~aap8/gallery/c6z06media?page=1

Also, I saw a full test report on BBC's "Top Gear" on the new Corvette. I know the British/Europeans don't think much of American cars but I was surprised to see that their opinion was very similar to mine. They loved the performance but they hated the quality. One funny part was when he pushed the rear fender with his hand and the fender was moving 4" in and out!
Those guys can really be half-wits at times.

They also complained about Corvette's leaf spring as being dated, when in truth, those advance leaf springs are NOTHING like the older ones they're thinking of - the new leaf springs perform better than traditional in the way its set up. The back body panel having flexible composite materials is a trend that will increase with many cars. This helps resist dents (that would cost $$$$$ on your MB!). Hard panels means nothing to performance and quality. Go feel a race car at Le Mans.

The Motortrend website is showing the BASE price for the Z06 at US$80k. I think they are right.
No reports are official - they're all speculating. The car does not get released until August as a 2006 model. It will base in the mid-$60's. You'll see.

One cannot compare the Z06 to a SL65, SLR, 911Turbo … just based on performance numbers. A $30k supercharged second hand Mustang could keep up with all those cars! But it does not mean anything!
One certainly can compare a Z06 to SL65, SLR and 911T - Z06 is in their performance league for half the price (or less).

And you're mixing topics on the Mustang bit. If one is going aftermarket and giving up warranty, this then gets into a completely different category of buyer and interest. Under warranty, from the factory (the original premise for your posting), the Corvette Z06 tows that line very well.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....5&postcount=20

Last edited by c2jones; 01-11-2005 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:47 PM

Okay. But if you're looking for a "performance" aspect and its about "the money," then why are you having grievances with the Corvette? The purpose of Corvette is bang for the buck. If you have demands on "cars not looking and feeling like crap," then for the same money you could have Aston Martin's new AMV8 which prices at the figure you mention. It looks great with all its fine appointments and if you're adamant about the luxury thing, that's your type of car. I am also considering the choice of AMV8 with Z06. But I'm under no illusions as to which one will be the most "anti-crap looking" and which one is a true performance car.

I have no grievances and I am not under any illusions. I agree with you the Corvette is an ultra high performance car with a huge bang for the buck advantage. FOR ME the SLK55 was the clear choice! I did call the only Aston Martin dealership in Vancouver regarding the upcoming AMV8 and it turned out the AMV8 was more expensive (+C$40,000) here in CANADA. The AMV8 would have been my clear choice if it was only like C$10,000 more than the SLK55. Aston Martins are extremely rare and very unique!

If you feel that SLk55 gives you the happy medium, then so be it. But my translation was that you were simply trying to justify the lessor price tag. If one has a fixed budget for a car, some of those people will find reasons to bash every car they might really like, but cannot (or will not) afford to comfort them in their priced-restrictive decisions.

Exactly! The SLK55 gives me happy medium! Everybody (almost) has a fixed budget. I know those car bashers, they are just in denial!

The Z06 is a heck of a car, irrespective of your personal impressions. I like its interior, even if it trails the MB in *some* ways. (Z06 has a nice heads-up display and other, advanced features which holds its rank. Seats look similar to SLk55. Have you seen them yet?)

Yes, the Z06 is a heck of a car because of the huge performance at an awesome price. But it lacks in quality in a huge way. Don't take my word for it; read the test reports in magazines and online. But as I said before everyone at around US$65K budget in the market for a high performance car needs to make a tough decision: More Quality or More Performance.

(Seat photo is on page 3 - you can upload high res.)

http://vorlon.case.edu/~aap8/gallery/c6z06media?page=1

Those guys can really be half-wits at times.

They also complained about Corvette's leaf spring as being dated, when in truth, those advance leaf springs are NOTHING like the older ones they're thinking of - the new leaf springs perform better than traditional in the way its set up. The back body panel having flexible composite materials is a trend that will increase with many cars. This helps resist dents (that would cost $$$$$ on your MB!). Hard panels means nothing to performance and quality. Go feel a race car at Le Mans.

The experts are really complaining about the quality of the Corvette. They are not always right but in the case of the Corvette it seems all of them are united! My take is that Chevy had to cut cost somewhere and that is perfectly normal.

No reports are official - they're all speculating. The car does not get released until August as a 2006 model. It will base in the mid-$60's. You'll see.

I hope so. But I just can not see how they can do that. The 7.0L V8 engine with all those exotic materials and the aluminum chassis will surely add a lot to the base price. Also, the Dodge Viper with similar numbers costs C$140K here in Canada (base Vette is C$67K)!

One certainly can compare a Z06 to SL65, SLR and 911T - Z06 is in their performance league for half the price (or less).

Budget! It is all about the Benjamins! Yes, you can compare their performance, like in a test report in a magazine. But I am talking about buying them. No one with a US$150K or more budget will even say the name Z06, just because it has similar performance figures to a 911T or SL65 and visa versa!

And you're mixing topics on the Mustang bit. If one is going aftermarket and giving up warranty, this then gets into a completely different category of buyer and interest. Under warranty, from the factory (the original premise for your posting), the Corvette Z06 tows that line very well.

I was just trying to make a point that it is not all about performance numbers. It is about the whole package and individual decision (more quality? more performance? more leg room? more sexy looking? ...). Yes, you are right about losing the warranty but if you only have US$30k to work with and you want Z06 performance, you have no other choice! Unless of course you win the lottery or your rich uncle goes to heaven, god bless his soul and leaves you some money! Speaking of warranty. How long is the bumper to bumper warranty on GM vehicles? Isn't it only three years? How about the major component warranty and all the restrictions? I am not saying that warranty is extremely important to everybody but it was important to me. Mercedes has a much better warranty than GM. All I am saying is that everybody is a completely different beast with a fixed budget who has to make hard choices.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....5&postcount=20