SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Passed 1000 Miles today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 55
Passed 1000 Miles today

Finally, it took 8 days. Put it in S mode, OMG, got on the hwy gave it about 3/4 on the gas and I felt it in my neck. I never felt force like that in my S2000.
On a side note; it seems that sometimes when I'm slowing to a stop I find I get a little jerk in the car (other than the driver). It feels like the transmission is forcing itself into first gear, should I be worried?
Cheers
Old 11-28-2004, 11:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
'05 SLK55, Obsidian, black/red, light and premium pkg., COMAND with nav, airscarf, Sirius
Downshifting

Krovvy, based on the '55 I drove, the downshifting appears to be normal.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
I'm at about 340 miles, and tomorrow will be 1 week! Gettin' there!
Old 11-30-2004, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Krovvy
Finally, it took 8 days. Put it in S mode, OMG, got on the hwy gave it about 3/4 on the gas and I felt it in my neck. I never felt force like that in my S2000.
On a side note; it seems that sometimes when I'm slowing to a stop I find I get a little jerk in the car (other than the driver). It feels like the transmission is forcing itself into first gear, should I be worried?
Cheers
Hi Krovvy !

first of all Congratulations for your car, it's very nice in that colour...

I would like to know if you didn't used the S mode during the runnig period ? and i you can give me details in your way of driving the car during the runnin period (use of the paddle shift, hit the red line...)

thanks

see you
Old 11-30-2004, 07:08 PM

SLK 55
Hbo1

Thanks
I was very careful to follow the recomended break in guidelines I stayed in C mode and did not rev past 4500 rpm.

Cheers
Old 11-30-2004, 10:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK55 AMG
what happens if you actually passed the 4500? I did it several times...

but mostly, i drive really slow like 60km ijn average
Old 12-01-2004, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Krovvy
Hbo1

Thanks
I was very careful to follow the recomended break in guidelines I stayed in C mode and did not rev past 4500 rpm.

Cheers
Thank you Krovvy

bye

Trending Topics

Old 12-01-2004, 11:45 AM
Almost a Member!

C230K
What are the official break in procedures on the SLK55 engine?
Old 12-01-2004, 12:48 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by UStifosi
What are the official break in procedures on the SLK55 engine?
That AMG engine is already balanced & blueprinted (its hand built as you all know). It does not need breaking in like a normal motor (for ring seating). However, it certainly does not hurt to ease it during the first 3k miles just to be extra safe.

I reconfirmed this approach with Bruce Canepa (his high performance shop upgrades high end cars here in Santa Cruz, CA, http://www.canepa.com/home.asp) & his shop has been in business modding Benzes, Porsches, etc for over 20 years. I'm having him install a Kleeman supercharger on our SLK55 when it arrives. He says that AMG powerplant is built like a tank from the factory & can handle immediate supercharging (no break in period needed like a normal motor). I knew this from my research, but its nice to hear it from an aftermarket professional that warranties his shops work. The tolerences on that AMG 5.4L motor are very tight - you get what you pay for when your motor is hand built. Hope this helps?

I saw a modded Porsche 959 in August that his shop worked on. His shop & his team's knowledge is pretty extensive (many of his employees are former race mechanics and/or drivers). His work is top notch & I'll let you all know how the SLK feels after the supercharger install this Spring (I'm still awaiting my ship date - likely Feb or March).

See ya,
-Matt
Old 12-01-2004, 08:53 PM

SLK 55
The recommended break in, in my manual, is for the first 1000miles do not excede 85 mph or 4500 rpm
Old 12-02-2004, 10:38 AM

many
Originally Posted by Yellow R1
That AMG engine is already balanced & blueprinted (its hand built as you all know). It does not need breaking in like a normal motor (for ring seating). However, it certainly does not hurt to ease it during the first 3k miles just to be extra safe.

I reconfirmed this approach with Bruce Canepa (his high performance shop upgrades high end cars here in Santa Cruz, CA, http://www.canepa.com/home.asp) & his shop has been in business modding Benzes, Porsches, etc for over 20 years. I'm having him install a Kleeman supercharger on our SLK55 when it arrives. He says that AMG powerplant is built like a tank from the factory & can handle immediate supercharging (no break in period needed like a normal motor). I knew this from my research, but its nice to hear it from an aftermarket professional that warranties his shops work. The tolerences on that AMG 5.4L motor are very tight - you get what you pay for when your motor is hand built. Hope this helps?

I saw a modded Porsche 959 in August that his shop worked on. His shop & his team's knowledge is pretty extensive (many of his employees are former race mechanics and/or drivers). His work is top notch & I'll let you all know how the SLK feels after the supercharger install this Spring (I'm still awaiting my ship date - likely Feb or March).

See ya,
-Matt
All I can tell you that he is full of S.
I saw C32 engines (only about 20k miles) with spun con. rod bearings
Also I saw blown 55 engine (cracked piston) from SL55 after customer had a Renntech mod.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:12 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by a2gtinut
All I can tell you that he is full of S.
I saw C32 engines (only about 20k miles) with spun con. rod bearings
Also I saw blown 55 engine (cracked piston) from SL55 after customer had a Renntech mod.
What is the relationship between a blown AMG engine & the break in period discussed in this thread? Answer - there isn't one!

If you read the thread, the discussion focuses around the breaking in of an AMG engine. Because you have seen busted stock or modified AMG motors has nothing to do with the break in period of a new/stock AMG powerplant (ie 20k miles is well outside any break in period).

BTW, the AMG 5.4L is indeed pretty ideal for supercharging applications. This is why there are numerous blown variants offered (by AMG, Kleemen, & others). They are tough, well built engines. They are not indestructable, no engine is (nor did anyone in this thread make that claim).

-Matt