SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

What did I say...?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 04:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 SLK32, 1999 Acura NSX, PORSCHE 993 Twin Turbo, 1990 500SL AMG, 1962 Corvette F.I.
What did I say...?!

Ok, I need some opinions on what just happened.....

I post this Thread in this SLK55 Forum because there are more owners here that might be willing to share their thoughts and experiences buying aftermarket parts for the SLK. Yes, I know I own an SLK32 but the parts supplier I am describing sells just as many parts for the SLK350 / SLK55 as he sells for the original SLKs.

Here is the set-up:
Last weekend I ordered a high-end shift knob from a Vendor that many SLK Owners on this forum are familliar with. Paid $138 for it. It was supposed to match my Bird's Eye Maple (or at least close). He posts a photo on his website that shows what a Buyer should expect. His photo shows a pretty close match to the SLK32 ash/gray/silver Bird's Eye color. Looks good to me so I order it and pay for it. He ships it without delay. Everything is as expected.

Today it arrives and it is not quite what I would have expected.
It is almost black in color and has some minor casting flaws.
I e-mail him my observations and questions.
Here I attach my e-mail and then his reply.
I ask for your comments/opinions in my closing thoughts.

COPY
Hi Jxxxx,

I received the shift knob today.
Thanks for the fast shipping.

Questions and observations-

Upon inspection of the knob I find that the Bird's Eye maple finish is almost black with almost no "Bird's Eye" appearance.
The chrome plating has small flaws in the pre-plating polish (casting imperfections).
Are these issues common? If it was a $50 shift knob I would not care. But for a High Quality knob I would think that the plating flaws would have been caught in a quality control inspection prior to plating. Granted, the plating flaws are very small- but upon visual inspection they are evident (you have to look pretty close to see it).
The lack of the Bird's Eye swirl is also a small disappointment.
Otherwise the shape, feel, look, laquer finish is as expected.

What do you suggest?
Do you have other knobs available in the same finish for the SLK32?
Is it worth the effort to swap it with you?
Again, the flaws are quite small and the color is close but lacking the "Swirl Look" with dark and light highlights.
Am I just expecting too much?

Thanks for your understanding.

His Reply-
I suggest you return the shift knob for refund, and not buy anything else here

Now what I really want to know is-
Am I being unreasonable to expect more than what I received?

I thought that the shift knob would have the Bird's Eye Maple highlights. The knob I received was actually almost solid black in color. There are a few lines of grain visable but no typical swirls that you would expect for Bird's Eye Maple and that are shown on his website photo. Also, although the casting flaws appear to be minor blemishes they are still visable. I am sure that it is just a quality control issue.

The real question is why would any Vendor not suggest that I return any part that I was not completely satisfied with for an exchange? I suggested an exchange and he blew me off! Why would a Vendor tell me to take my business elsewhere in this example? Basically he is telling me to Fxxx Off

Now really, what exactly did I say to **** this guy off?
I read and re-read my e-mail to him and I do not see where I insulted him personally or his business. BTW- the part is imported from a German manufacturer so I am not questioning something he made. This was the first parts order that I made from him and it will certainly be the last!

So, have any of you other MB Owners delt with this kind of treatment from aftermarket suppliers? If anyone want to know the name of this supplier just send me a PM. It is not my intention to post names or to tattle-tale. But if I had known of this guys bad attitude I would never have delt with him to start with.

Ahhhh, that's better
I just had to vent...

Last edited by CruzrMM; 02-05-2005 at 05:18 AM.