SLR McLaren (C199) Discussion on the SLR Coupe, Roadster and Sterling Moss Edition.

SLR/C199/R199/Z199: Took a SLR for a test ride!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano Silverstone F1
Question What did I think of the SLR?

Originally Posted by Juice it
Nice line up. I have seen your stuff on Lpower! So what did you think of the SLR? It would be a nice addition and it doesn't look like money is too much of an issue!
If it's OK, I'll put the review that I did for the other web site on here this afternoon. Money is always an issue unless you've got absolutely 'stupid money' (tons and tons of it) and I don't! I'd love an SLR but..... I've kinda 'shot my wad' for a little while! Michael
Old 04-22-2006, 05:11 AM

Talking Verification pics!

Originally Posted by NY C32
The admin of Jabbas World are on top of their ****...
Oh yeah, You can talk about cars 'in general' but if you start saying you own this and that, they shut your *** down! The pics below are what they ask for to 'prove' that I or anyone else is the owner of the cars we claim to have. I call them verification pics.

The pic of the F430 is with its old plate. The new one says 'X HIPPIE'. I thought it would draw more laughs than the other plate. I would stay up night after night trying to think of a plate that would have people laughing with me and not at me. I also try to fit the color of the car to some of the plates like the 'HULKSTR' and 'FUZY NVL'. It's a riot looking in your rear view mirror and watching people laugh their *** off at your license plate. Made all the sleepless nights worth it.

Hope you're also laughing with me! Michael
Attached Thumbnails Took a SLR for a test ride!-575-maranello-manual-key-8.5-x-11.jpg   Took a SLR for a test ride!-f430-manual-key-8.5-x-11.jpg   Took a SLR for a test ride!-ford-gt-manual-key-8.5-x-11.jpg   Took a SLR for a test ride!-gallardo-manual-key-8.5-x-11.jpg   Took a SLR for a test ride!-murcielago-manual-key-8.5-x-11.jpg  

Old 04-22-2006, 05:14 AM

Ran out of space!

Needed to add one more!
Attached Thumbnails Took a SLR for a test ride!-porsche-carrera-gt-manual-key-8.5-x-11.jpg  
Old 04-22-2006, 05:21 AM

F430's new plate

Originally Posted by blume
i have never seen greater creativity on the plates. the 430 is my fav.!
Here's the F430 with its new plate. Took it with the car running. See the smoke drifting over the plate? Kinda 'psychedelic' huh? Really fit the plate in that pic! Michael
Attached Thumbnails Took a SLR for a test ride!-f430-rear-plate-smoke-800-pix.jpg  
Old 04-22-2006, 05:25 AM

Question Decide which to drive?

Originally Posted by blume
very nice choices! when you make time to drive, do you put equal miles on them? how do you decide which to pick up the keys to? do you have a sedan for more people, or are these just the exotics?

the pics are very cool btw!

i am going to add another hit to your site.
I actually take them right in a row so that they each get their share of exercise. My girlfriend and I have 05 Range Rovers and I also have a 05 Ford F150 for chores and picking up larger loads of whatever. Michael
Old 04-22-2006, 05:29 AM

Favorite?

Originally Posted by ICEAMG
nice collection, -be honest....which do you like best and why?
Please don't ask me to compare or which one is my favorite. I'm a little 'superstitious' and have this feeling if I said I liked this one the best, the others would get POd and never start again. Michael
Old 04-22-2006, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hey....since when did u sneak into my Project Gotham Racing 3 garage and took pics of my car w/o my approval....

ignore me...played too much xbox 360 recently... =)

anyway....great line up!
Old 04-22-2006, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
Seriously, did you win the Mega Million recently? It seems all the big jackpot winners are from Ohio and you don't have a car older than 2004 (that Maranello must feel old)

Don't get me wrong...I'd live in Ohio if I could drive those cars everyday!
Old 04-22-2006, 11:45 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 AMG G63, 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
Originally Posted by magwheel
Oh yeah, You can talk about cars 'in general' but if you start saying you own this and that, they shut your *** down!
I've noticed that about some of the other boards. Maybe that's why this site has become a haven for these rejects, they can get away with it here.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:18 PM

Smile My review of my Demo ride in the SLR!

I took a McLaren SLR for a demo ride last Friday, March 17th, St. Patty's Day. I had looked at it Thursday and was slightly interested in it but the main problem was that I would have had to get rid of one of my cars, most likely the Maranello because they're both considered to be GT Touring type cars. They wanted me to take it for a demo ride which I really didn't feel comfortable about because my interest was questionable. But I caved in after several of them assured me it was OK to put 5-10 miles on her.

The following is my impression or opinion which me not being Jeremy Clarkson or equivalent, may not be worth two bits! Anyhow, while driving her the 5-10 miles, she seemed to have kind of a heavy steering feel (not as nimble as the Maranello) and IMO wanted to wander a little. In other words, if I took my hands off the wheel, I didn't think she would track a straight line for too long.

I drove it like a Grandma would have (only had her up to 75 or 80) out of respect for the dealer whose was kind enough to let me take it for a test ride in the first place. I just felt a little guilty because I didn't want to put any excess miles or stress on the car in case somebody else was going to buy it and my interest in it wasn't that hot and heavy.

It's a beautiful looking coupe and the Silver paint (metalflake or firemist-whichever you prefer) was unbelievable in the sun. It stood out like a 2 bit ***** at the White House! It was really fantastic!! The ride was real firm though, I guess because the body is mounted directly to the frame and not rubber mounted in anyway on the frame (that's what the salesmen told me) and every expansion strip was felt (just like my Porsche Carrera GT.)

But.... you could feel the power! Push the throttle a little bit and she wants to rip it up... bad! It looks like a super technological achievement while looking over the car's interior and exterior. Trick stuff everywhere. The doors were the Gull Wing type..... not like the Murcielago doors that go straight up. The SLRs open outward and then up making entry a lot easier than the Murcielago doors. The hood was like the vault at Fort Knox. All kinds of mechanical and suspended stuff. Once the initial latch was released, a secondary latch was released and then you merely pushed down on the nose and it tilted up and forward with ease. There was a word of caution not to be too aggressive at any point.

The LED rear turn signal lights in the rear were neat as hell. Really bright and in a backward C pattern. And the rear air-brake spoiler, what can I say... damn, if I would have played with it anymore, I might have talked myself into buying the car! I love gimmicks on cars. I once bought a 545i BMW over the others because it had the beeping back-up sensors!

This particular car had two options. One was red painted brake calipers ($800 - just like my Maranello) and they really looked sharp against the silver paint. The second option was a special super soft Silver Arrow Leather interior (a $9,500 hit) and it was really pretty soft and luxurious. And there were these elaborate tire pressure sensors mounted on the inner fenders. They warn you when your tire pressure in any tire drops 2-3 lbs.

I could just see it now.... One salesman was opening and closing the hood and showing me how easy and trick it was, the 2nd salesman is running his hands over the interior and saying it was as soft as a newborn baby's butt , the 3rd salesman was working the rear turn signals telling me they're brighter than a lighthouse and the 4th salesperson is working the rear spoiler up and down and up and down and my head is spinning and all I can say is take my money.... give me the keys and take my money.. please!! And then, thank God I wake up!! Phew.... what a dream!

Seriously, I think it is very hard to justify the SLR price in my opinion. I feel it's at least over priced by $100,000 just like the Porsche Carrera GT. I want to own her but I don't think I'd be able to talk myself into getting rid of the Maranello for it even if it was half the price. To be fair, I absolutely love the car, but comparing it to the Maranello, I think I got the better of the two..... for right now anyway...... at least, I think so! My one problem is that I keep thinking about that SLR! It's like the best female lover you ever had in your life. You may not be with her now but you can't get her out of your mind.... now or ever. Damn libido!! But ohhhhh that rear air-brake spoiler!!!

p.s. The pic of the engine compartment was not taken by me. Somehow, in all the excitement, I forgot to take a picture of the engine. The one here is one I 'borrowed' from an internet site. I hope you all will forgive me!

p.s.s. I pulled up to the dealership in the Lime Green Murcie. Got 2 or 3 looks (dozen that is!) What better car than the 'HULKSTR' to be riding around in on St. Patty's Day! Heh... heh... heh...! Michael
Attached Thumbnails Took a SLR for a test ride!-mclaren-slr-driver-interior-800-pix.jpg   Took a SLR for a test ride!-mclaren-slr-engine-compartment-800-pix.jpg   Took a SLR for a test ride!-mclaren-slr-front-2-800-pix.jpg   Took a SLR for a test ride!-mclaren-slr-front-800-pix.jpg   Took a SLR for a test ride!-mclaren-slr-left-front-exhaust-800-pix.jpg  

Old 04-22-2006, 01:22 PM

5 more pics of ther SLR

More pics of the SLR
Attached Thumbnails Took a SLR for a test ride!-mclaren-slr-left-front-2-800-pix.jpg   Took a SLR for a test ride!-mclaren-slr-left-front-800-pix.jpg   Took a SLR for a test ride!-mclaren-slr-left-rear-800-pix.jpg   Took a SLR for a test ride!-mclaren-slr-left-side-800-pix.jpg   Took a SLR for a test ride!-mclaren-slr-rear-800-pix.jpg  

Old 04-22-2006, 01:25 PM

Last 5 pics of the SLR

A few more pics.
Attached Thumbnails Took a SLR for a test ride!-mclaren-slr-rear-close-up-800-pix.jpg   Took a SLR for a test ride!-mclaren-slr-right-front-800-pix.jpg   Took a SLR for a test ride!-mclaren-slr-right-rear-800-pix.jpg   Took a SLR for a test ride!-mclaren-slr-right-side-rear-800-pix.jpg   Took a SLR for a test ride!-mclaren-slr-wheel-tire-800-pix.jpg  

Old 04-22-2006, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Received 514 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Damn, I thought I had the nicest car in Ohio.

That collection would humble just about anyone's garage. Congrats!!

I hope you are a big contributor to the Poland F.O.P. For some reason, I just can't see those vehicles blending in with Youngstown's morning rush hour.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:52 PM

Mega Millions recently?

Seriously, did you win the Mega Million recently? It seems all the big jackpot winners are from Ohio and you don't have a car older than 2004 (that Maranello must feel old)
Nah.... I'm a bubble gum salesman and sales have been fantastic the last few years! Michael
Old 04-22-2006, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some
humm

red breaks on the SLR... i dont think ive seen that b4!

mark
Old 04-22-2006, 03:40 PM

Unhappy red breaks?

Originally Posted by RedMongoosE
humm

red breaks on the SLR... i dont think ive seen that b4!

mark
Alright Professor Von Shicklegruber, I've read the review twice and can't see where I've misspelled brakes. Since your eyes are so keen, why not point it out to me so I can be worthy of your praise! Michael
Old 04-22-2006, 03:59 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
The admin of Jabbas World are on top of their ****...

Thats a great idea. Would keep most of the Aikens of this world off the forums!
Old 04-22-2006, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some
Alright Professor Von Shicklegruber, I've read the review twice and can't see where I've misspelled brakes. Since your eyes are so keen, why not point it out to me so I can be worthy of your praise! Michael

mike, please i was the one who spelled brakes wrong im a terrable speller when i type in a rush.

i was sereous when i said, i have never seen red brakes on a SLR

Old 04-22-2006, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Awesome collection of exotics Michael! BTW, I AM laughing with you, not at you, about the license plates. My M-B was called "Smoke Silver" when it was new, so I chose "Rauch" (german for smoke) as my vanity plate. I have since been informed by a german guy that I should have used "Silber" (german for silver) since colloquially, if something smokes in german, it means it's broken - haha. Great review of your test drive, and nice pics of the SLR too.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:07 PM

Question terrible speller

Originally Posted by RedMongoosE
mike, please i was the one who spelled brakes wrong im a terrable speller when i type in a rush.

i was sereous when i said, i have never seen red brakes on a SLR
No problem..... I thought you were just busting my ***! Wasn't upset at all. Do you mean red brake calipers are that rare on a SLR? I wish I could talk myself into buying that SLR but it would in all honesty, short circuit my financial situation. Michael

p.s. Use a online or stand alone computer dictionary while you enter a post and then just review it. That's what I do and every once in a while, I'll miss a word or two.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here's the F430 with its new plate. Took it with the car running. See the smoke drifting over the plate? Kinda 'psychedelic' huh? Really fit the plate in that pic! Michael
nice pic! the smoke looks cool. i saw the gallardo in one of the pics with the slr. i would keep the 575 over the slr! nice collection!
Old 04-22-2006, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G63, AMG GT S
Nice collection. How much did the dealer want for the SLR?
Old 04-23-2006, 12:23 AM

Red face How much?

Originally Posted by Toog4me
Nice collection. How much did the dealer want for the SLR?
The sticker was $467,000. I never asked what they wanted to sell it for because I wasn't 100% interested in the car. I had a call from them last week informing me they were 'willing' to work a deal on the car but I never asked how much. I told them I'd think about it and maybe get back to them. Michael
Old 04-23-2006, 09:45 AM

Metro Card : (
i am originally from northeast ohio and i cannot see you driving ANY of those cars ANYWHERE in ohio. too many hilljacks would 1) start drooling; 2) become insanely jealous; 3) start some form harassment and/or vandalize the car.

that's ohio
Old 04-23-2006, 03:30 PM

05 ML350, 85 300D
There are 2 already registered in Cleveland- one with over a 1 1/2 of road time already and several in the dealers- Akron also has a sold car on the road.
The red calipers are new- I have worked on several and done some pretty extensive work on one and all the calipers I have seen are silver. The red looks cool though!!
One quick note- don't push down on the nose to lift the hood- pull up after pulling on the secondary latch and then lift from the rear of the hood- just a safer way in my (and MBs opinion).
The price tag (same as the GT), comes from the hand laying of the carbon fibre, mostly. Hrs and Hrs just doing that, opposed to robots stamping and welding bodies together.
If you ever take the plunge, magwheel, I keep a diary on all the SLRs I deal with- computer reports with pictures/specs/settings,etc. The owners like the extras- it will help ensure that their SLR is one on the sought after ones down the road (Much like the difference between a maintained 300SL gullwing and a rebuild)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: SLR/C199/R199/Z199: Took a SLR for a test ride!