SLR McLaren (C199) Discussion on the SLR Coupe, Roadster and Sterling Moss Edition.

SLR/C199/R199/Z199: SLR Prices in Freefall...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
various
SLR Prices in Freefall...

I really like a lot of things about the SLR but every time I look at eBay I am thankful that I didn't buy one yet. I don't recall ever seeing new car prices falling so dramatically.

What's more, I understand that the factory has gotten so much static from the dealers that they are going to give them some significant financial support after the end of the year which will relieve some of the financial burden on the dealers and allow them to reduce prices even further.

But with the apparent cancellation of MB's original plans to manufacture 3500 of them, and with the frustration and even anger on the part of the dealers who were made to purchase them and spend money in specialized equipment and training, I would be concerned about the future availability of parts and quality service from many of the dealers who now wish they had never heard the term "SLR".
Old 12-02-2006, 11:13 AM

i think the market will set a price at ~250k for the SLR. it just doesnt have the carisma of a supercar
Old 12-04-2006, 11:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
I think the hash must've been especially good at the marketing meeting where the $480k (or thereabouts) sticker price for the SLR was established.

For that money, I'd rather buy a mint 300SL gullwing and a Bentley continental 2-door (for use as a daily driver).

Still, the SLR will likely attain "gullwing status" as far as classic benz's go; if I was shopping for one, I would only buy from a dealer who's sold a few of them already, since they'd be the likeliest to maintain a service capability after everyone else forgets about the SLR marketing debacle.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:32 PM

05 E500
if I was shopping for one, I would only buy from a dealer who's sold a few of them already
Interesting point, but how would one establish that a given dealer has in fact moved a few of these? I suppose one could inquire of the dealer to demonstrate this as an incentive to sell the car (as after all its a small favor for such a big expenditure). One could go by what they know to be fact if they have witnessed SLR activity at a given dealer or has it on good authority from reliable others.

I do think you have the right thinking.

The severance of Mercedes and McLaren had to have some repercussions. Seems everyone will feel this one. Still, if one is looking at acquiring an SLR, there is probably no time like now and the end of the production cycle to get a collector's item for less. I was hoping to get a chance at a roadster.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:09 PM

various
Originally Posted by c2jones

"if one is looking at acquiring an SLR, there is probably no time like now and the end of the production cycle to get a collector's item for less. "

"No time like now"- Wow!

Well, there is certainly no shortage of sellers available to sell you one of these now!

Or, you could wait a little longer and get one for a lot less!
Old 12-06-2006, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
I think due to the slow sales of the SLR, the value will increase over time, starting when production stops and supply becomes short.

I mean the product is amazing - a Mercedes-Benz McLaren that offers fine comfort and styling with amazing performance. It'll become that old car people talk about in the future as "way ahead of it's time". People would rather buy Ferrari's and Lamborghini's at this price range for the prestige of owning that brand, although the Mercedes is just as competitive; however, when the production stops and this 'craze' for horsepower slows, I think the SLR will be one of those cars that was amazing, but somehow never got the attention.

And what I love about the SLR is it's a modern super car, not like those Ferrari's that don't come with a radio! This car has talking navigation, satellite radio, a CD changer; comfortable leather seats... I mean, isn't that nice, you can drive 208 mph while enjoying the Bose 7 Speaker Audio. And when you turn the Bose off, you can enjoy 617 screaming horses...

Tee_Tz.