SLR McLaren (C199) Discussion on the SLR Coupe, Roadster and Sterling Moss Edition.

SLR/C199/R199/Z199: Mercedes SLR crash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes SLR McLaren
Mercedes SLR crash

Does anyone have more info on how this SLR crashed?

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/newpho...0129_001.shtml
Old 02-13-2008, 05:03 AM
XJ9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350
Originally Posted by tomgold
Does anyone have more info on how this SLR crashed?

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/newpho...0129_001.shtml
I dont know the personal details of this particular SLR but I have seen two other SLR's crashed in the identical way and the reason was the same: The driver started to plow (lost traction on the front wheel) and instead of giving it gas which would have shifted the weight distribution back and brought the end around they applied the brake. This caused further loss of traction and the car ended up sliding into the curb in one case and a parked car in another.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by XJ9
I dont know the personal details of this particular SLR but I have seen two other SLR's crashed in the identical way and the reason was the same: The driver started to plow (lost traction on the front wheel) and instead of giving it gas which would have shifted the weight distribution back and brought the end around they applied the brake. This caused further loss of traction and the car ended up sliding into the curb in one case and a parked car in another.
Understeer = back off the gas and let the front re-gain traction.

Mashing the gas will just further overwhelm the front tires unless you successfully manage to get the car to go exactly as planned with the A$$ end hanging out... very unlikely. You dont see people at the track mashing the gas when they begin to understeer. They pretty much feather off the gas a tad and throttle steer the car back on line.