SLR McLaren (C199) Discussion on the SLR Coupe, Roadster and Sterling Moss Edition.

SLR/C199/R199/Z199: Forget the looks, the sound is amazing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 04:33 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 240
Forget the looks, the sound is amazing

I've just been out on the test track with the SLR! I was at a Mercedes track day in the Midlands (UK), and the SLR was 'playing' on the fast track.

The first thing you get is the sound. It's just like a spitfire as a sound; incredibly deep. Sounds just amazing.

We were in an S600 doing 150 mph down the straight, but the SLR went past us like we ere standing still. We reckon it was doing 150 ROUND THE CORNER. Straight line speed was pushing a couple of hundre.

It actually looks a bit better than the earlier prototypes. The rounded shape seems to have gone a bit and it's a lot more aggressive as a shape. It has a lot more influence from the SLK (but MUCH bigger and more butch).

Unfortunately, my camera was confiscated as I entered the site, so no pictures I'm afraid.

It's an amazing car, but whether it's worth the same as four or five SL55s, I'm not sure about that, but if I was a multi-millionaire, I'd certainly have one.

Michael.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:43 AM

I take the bus now :(
Red face Riiiiight....

...& I've just tested a pink Ferrari Enzo & a purple/green Bugatti Veyron 16/4 right here in Romania at an undercover circuit which was in a farm....we had tons of fun overpassin' the cows & the horses over the hills.......lamer
Old 04-07-2003, 05:53 AM
Almost a Member!

CLK 240
You don't think they test these things? Of course they do. There is a heavily banked track and a number of other test circuits.

There's an industry test track here in the UK, near Milton Keynes. That's also where MB take new owners to show off the car's handling.

There's nothing I can do to prove this to you as cameras are taken from you as you enter the facility. However, if you don't believe, I really couldn't care less.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:48 AM

I take the bus now :(
Re: Riiiiight....

I know that they do test the car but it's still disguised...u can't see much of the car's shape when it looks like this instead of this can ya now?...that's why I said I don't believe u
Old 04-08-2003, 01:08 PM

I've heard the SLR on track during track testing in South Africa. It truely does sound amazing - and that was over a telephone link. They test these cars far more than you would suspect. I've been invited to track days to observe, ride, and drive. It is however against the ethics policy of the company where I work to allow such perks.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:56 PM

2006 SL55 with 030 Performance Package
A year ago I heard and saw the SLR going around the F1 track at Indianapolis IN USA about an hour before the F1 race started, it is simply amazing!

I have a 15 minute tape I got from Germany that has the SLR driving around Germany with sound the car was not covered.

It was on a PAL tape that I converted to VHS the sound and looks are great. Its a high quality movie produced by Mercedes.

AMGBENZ
2003 SL55 AMG
2000 ML430
www.vecmar.com/mercedes