SLR McLaren (C199) Discussion on the SLR Coupe, Roadster and Sterling Moss Edition.

SLR/C199/R199/Z199: SLR McLaren vs SL65 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mymbonline
Originally Posted by AMG POWER (*
NO Chance they didnt make SLR to be beat by an sl65 with mods, SLR is based on a Formula..
it WAS based on a formula, until mercedes stepped in and told one of the best designer/engineer how THEY wanted the slr to b

a clk dtm is faster, thats why its limited to only 199mph, they didnt want it to b faster than an slr. the slr is a failure, thats why they are already planning an updated version with even more power, when they should just get rid some excess weight, make that lots excess weight

no1 is buying them anymore, the only people that are r buying them r buying them as a status symbol
Old 11-10-2005, 04:54 AM
H50
Almost a Member!

BMWM3 BMWM5 E55
Slr Vs Sl65 Video

I have the video of a SLR VS SL65 but i dont know how to upload it ?
Old 11-10-2005, 07:07 AM

Top Gear Track Times

Here in the uk we have a tv show called top gear they take all cars unmodified and race on a track they then collect the times and post them on the web site take a look TOP GEAR
Old 11-10-2005, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
that doesnt show anything.... from the times i can see that the track is not very tight, murci ahead of gallardo

do u know the specs of the track??
Old 11-10-2005, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

g
Originally Posted by H50
I have the video of a SLR VS SL65 but i dont know how to upload it ?
They never tested the SL65 vs SLR. However, they did test the SL55 vs SLR. If you do a search, I'm sure you could find it.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

g
Originally Posted by AMG_55
that doesnt show anything.... from the times i can see that the track is not very tight, murci ahead of gallardo

do u know the specs of the track??
You can look at a layout of the track on Top Gears website
Old 11-10-2005, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

g
it WAS based on a formula, until mercedes stepped in and told one of the best designer/engineer how THEY wanted the slr to b

a clk dtm is faster, thats why its limited to only 199mph, they didnt want it to b faster than an slr. the slr is a failure, thats why they are already planning an updated version with even more power, when they should just get rid some excess weight, make that lots excess weight

no1 is buying them anymore, the only people that are r buying them r buying them as a status symbol
Are you serious? You think the SLR is a failure!
The SLR is what it is... The best/fastest GT in the world. It wasn't meant to be a un-compromised all out supercar like the Enzo or XJ220.

And they have to plan a updated version. The 6.8 AMG is suppose to come out with close to 700hp. How long away that is who knows. But the production run of the SLR is 7 years. There has to be improvements made

Actually your wrong about the DTM being faster on the top end. Find a copy of AutoCars test, they explain it there. And the fastest 0-60 time I've seen was 4.0 while the SLR has been tested at 3.5.

People aren't buying them because some dealers are still holding true to their dreams of 700K They are all at dealers, try and find one from a private seller No, I haven't seen one yet. Flipside, look at the CGT... Lots of them were sold by private owners. And have you seen how many are on the market, let alone their resale values compared to the SLR. Wow...
Old 11-11-2005, 04:30 AM

check out the videos on the site some of them show a lap on the track, the driver is always the same guy and they take the best time from a few laps,
and in places its verys tight
Old 11-11-2005, 05:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by NOTKTS
Are you serious? You think the SLR is a failure!
The SLR is what it is... The best/fastest GT in the world. It wasn't meant to be a un-compromised all out supercar like the Enzo or XJ220.

And they have to plan a updated version. The 6.8 AMG is suppose to come out with close to 700hp. How long away that is who knows. But the production run of the SLR is 7 years. There has to be improvements made

Actually your wrong about the DTM being faster on the top end. Find a copy of AutoCars test, they explain it there. And the fastest 0-60 time I've seen was 4.0 while the SLR has been tested at 3.5.

People aren't buying them because some dealers are still holding true to their dreams of 700K They are all at dealers, try and find one from a private seller No, I haven't seen one yet. Flipside, look at the CGT... Lots of them were sold by private owners. And have you seen how many are on the market, let alone their resale values compared to the SLR. Wow...
i dont think it deserves the mclaren badge, thats all
it a very nice, over priced mercedes
id take a dtm and a 700hp ultima gts or whatever it is gt some **** and have some $ left over to mod the dtm
maybe in florida, i dunno
here some r being sold at sticker
think about the resale value of the dtm, 100 made
i read somewhere that its faster mayb they are wrong, and if the slr is faster its not by much, a few mods to the dtm and bye bye slr
by the way a new development of the slr is coming soon, lighter w/ more power +30 or 40 i think, and a lower splitter or somethin
but its still no mclaren
Old 11-11-2005, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

g
i dont think it deserves the mclaren badge, thats all
it a very nice, over priced mercedes
id take a dtm and a 700hp ultima gts or whatever it is gt some **** and have some $ left over to mod the dtm
maybe in florida, i dunno
here some r being sold at sticker
think about the resale value of the dtm, 100 made
i read somewhere that its faster mayb they are wrong, and if the slr is faster its not by much, a few mods to the dtm and bye bye slr
by the way a new development of the slr is coming soon, lighter w/ more power +30 or 40 i think, and a lower splitter or somethin
but its still no mclaren
Mostly the whole car was developed by them... Why should it not deserve the badge? Jeremy from TopGear even said that it was better than the F1... But each to their own.

The DTM is a nice car and I've looked into importing one in the past but it's truly a hassle let alone the prices that people are charging over MSRP with 10-20,000 Km. The lowest that I've personally been able to find was 295K with 22,000 km and there were all kind of import, VAT and federalization taxes that had to be added on, let alone the wait for the car itself.

I don't think anyone has attempted to mod a DTM even though it's the same 55 engine... It's a balance between power and handling with the car and it's perfect IMO. Now the limiter, yeah. That should be done away with :v And there is a DTM in Key Biscayne that has been seen on numerous occasions... I'm all about exclusivity... That's why I mod everything I have. I never want some next to me to have exactly what I have. It's just a pet-peeve of mine, who knows. However, I don't think there are any Brabus SLRs in the US... and with the extra 43hp and LSD, bye-bye DTM
Old 11-12-2005, 02:37 PM
H50
Almost a Member!

BMWM3 BMWM5 E55
They never tested the SL65 vs SLR. However, they did test the SL55 vs SLR. If you do a search, I'm sure you could find it.

I have a real street race video not a magazine review where i can upload it?
Old 11-12-2005, 02:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 Bentley GTC, Porsche GT2/EVOMS GT700, 1968 Dodge Charger Hemi
Originally Posted by H50
I have a real street race video not a magazine review where i can upload it?
http://www.putfile.com/
Old 11-12-2005, 06:34 PM
H50
Almost a Member!

BMWM3 BMWM5 E55
Originally Posted by RennTechV12

Not working for me .. anyone can upload it i can email u the video?
Old 11-12-2005, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

g
How big is it?

And is it a E55 vs SLR or SL65?
Old 11-12-2005, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Mostly the whole car was developed by them... Why should it not deserve the badge? Jeremy from TopGear even said that it was better than the F1... But each to their own.

The DTM is a nice car and I've looked into importing one in the past but it's truly a hassle let alone the prices that people are charging over MSRP with 10-20,000 Km. The lowest that I've personally been able to find was 295K with 22,000 km and there were all kind of import, VAT and federalization taxes that had to be added on, let alone the wait for the car itself.

I don't think anyone has attempted to mod a DTM even though it's the same 55 engine... It's a balance between power and handling with the car and it's perfect IMO. Now the limiter, yeah. That should be done away with :v And there is a DTM in Key Biscayne that has been seen on numerous occasions... I'm all about exclusivity... That's why I mod everything I have. I never want some next to me to have exactly what I have. It's just a pet-peeve of mine, who knows. However, I don't think there are any Brabus SLRs in the US... and with the extra 43hp and LSD, bye-bye DTM
the car was developed by them and then mercedes started adding all kinds of luxury **** to it.... i read an interview w/ gordon murray and he was very disapointed at how the car turned out. the reason the dtm is so much$ is cause its a true limited edition car, a future classic, kinda like the gullwing, but even more rare
Old 11-13-2005, 04:57 PM
H50
Almost a Member!

BMWM3 BMWM5 E55
How big is it?

And is it a E55 vs SLR or SL65?

PLZ i do know the differences between the SL and the E55..

IT IS A SLR VS SL65 RACE??? its is phoned by Mobile camera video ..its around 700 KB
Old 12-11-2005, 12:08 AM

SL55
Found this SLR vs SL65:

http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=4205759
Old 12-12-2005, 01:18 PM

Mercedes-Benz C240 and Corvette C5 convertible
Clk-dtm....

I saw a CLK-DTM for sale on the www.duncanhamilton.com website for 175k in British pounds. A pity that some of us may think that the CLK-DTM's 582 horse power V-8 might not come to equal or better to the SLR's acceleration. But on the race course, things might be put into better perspective as to what really is the faster car since handling is a important factor. Although I am not aware as to which car has the better horse power-to weight ratio. But I can bet you that these two Mercedes (CLK-DTM and SLR) and possibly just maybe in some cases the SL65 will be close to each other's performance. Too bad I can't include the CLK-GTR Le Mans road car in this comparo as it is not in current production.

:p
Old 12-12-2005, 02:32 PM

c43
I might be wrong, but I always thought the clk-dtm was a v12 car, which made 600+
Old 12-12-2005, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by Ashkan's C280
I might be wrong, but I always thought the clk-dtm was a v12 car, which made 600+
yep, ur wrong
v8 kompressor based on the amg55k engine w/ slight mods.
i think it makes 575hp and 590tq
Old 12-13-2005, 09:57 AM
ON PROBATION

CLK DTM completely different car than SLR. SLR completely different car than SL65.
And just a note, they are now producing 100 CLK DTM cabriolets with four-place seating.....
Old 12-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 clk320 convertible
You compared the times for the nuremburgring

but you cant do that unless the same driver

I could take the SLR and get 10 mins, as im not a racing driver and i dont know the ring inside out, like some drivers.