SLR McLaren (C199) Discussion on the SLR Coupe, Roadster and Sterling Moss Edition.

SLR/C199/R199/Z199: SLR Weight...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLR Weight...

I'm not too certain about the styling... I think it's distinctive, even though it's not a mid-engined design. But you will still be able to pick it out from a kilometre away! And I too would have liked a more adventurous interior, to differentiate it from those of the S7, Enzo and Murcielago (none are too exciting...)

But enough of that. I'm wondering about the SLR's weight. Knowing that McLaren is the main developer of this car and that there is extensive use of carbon-fibre, the mass of the car should be fairly low. Car and Driver, in a page corner blurb, stated that "Mercedes promises [the weight] won't be above 2800 lbs", or 1270 kg. This figure really caught my attention: it undercuts the also-carbon-fibre Enzo's 3230 lb by 430, and even weighs less than the Honda S2000! (though by only 35 lbs).

Now, the SLR's projected power output is 619 hp, which is less the Enzo by 31, and the SLR is a front-engined car, but still the numbers should put the two cars in the same theoretical league. The Enzo tested 0-60mph in 3.3 secs for two magazines... will the SLR post similar figures? On this board I've heard 0-62mph from 3.6 to 3.9 secs... but maybe those numbers are conservative.

Handling is much harder to predict, but I think a good target for the SLR would be something higher than 0.95 g on the skidpad (some SL55s can get that), hopefully something closer to 1.00 g. Well, we'll just have to wait an see, won't we?