SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: Got my SLS last night

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 07:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL 65 AMG, Porsche 911 (993), 2014 Cayenne GTS, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Is 20K over very common?

I have not heard that dealers were not setting a premium on this car.....I have two friends that ordered them and no premium, one in Atlanta and other in Newport Beach.....

Did you order it or buy cancelled ordered car?
Old 11-25-2010, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cl
Awesome!
You should give me a ride in it!!!
Old 12-02-2010, 07:26 PM

SLS, S63, SL63, GL550, S550. Priors: SL55, S500, S550 "other" brands...F430, 612 Scag, 599 GTB,etc
I seem to have your cars sibling with very similar appearance. My phone pics stink, but here are a few.....
Attached Thumbnails Got my SLS last night-imag0140.jpg   Got my SLS last night-imag0142.jpg   Got my SLS last night-imag0145.jpg   Got my SLS last night-imag0147.jpg  
Old 12-05-2010, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 G63
I took delivery of my SLS in late Sep, Imola Grey with the tan leather. I followed the recommendation and never floored it or did a full on downshift until getting an initial 1000 miles on it.

Then, much to my surprise, when I did try an all out launch the car hesitates, big time, barely moves and then perhaps a full second later something engages and it takes off. This is regardless of shift mode or ESP setting. Literally, floor it and nothing happens for a brief period!

Reading a story in the Mercedes Club Star Magazine about an owner of both an SLR and SLS, it said something similar about launching the SLS that had significant hesitation leaving me to conclude that more than mine have the problem.

My dealer did an initial reading of all of the codes without finding anything suspicious. Plan on taking it in to them in a week or so and leaving it until they resolve the problem.

I will be curious to learn how yours performs once you get the break-in miles done with. Send me a post. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 141 Likes on 52 Posts
'94 NSX,'99 NSX Z,'12 C63 Black Series (Prior: '07 E63, '08 CLK63 Black Series,'14 E63-S & 16 C63-S)
Originally Posted by AugustWest
I picked up my SLS ,sat night. Iridium Silver, red interior, carbon fiber console and B&0 stereo. Words cannot describe this car. It has a beastly growl, tons of torque and is comfortable and quiet at low speeds in comfort mode. I am a lucky man.
I am glad to hear that you realize how lucky you are. Not many people in the world get to sit in a car as amazing and expensive as the SLS, much less own one. Heck, that car is more expensive than my house. Anyway, I am just glad to hear you appreciate your good fortune.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:35 PM

SLS AMG Iridium Silver Red Interior
I never even noticed the little sticker describing the recommended break in until I had 800 miles on the car. I was aware that you weren't suppose to floor it or use race start, though. I may have gone over the 4500 rpm limit a few times, though. Any way the car is great. I have 1500 miles on the car now. The transmission is a little unpredictable, though. It likes to shift to a higher gear when you are driving quite slowly, to save gas I guess. before you know it, the car is in 7th gear and you are only driving 50 mph. If you drive it in sport mode, it seems to be fine though. It is more responsive. Or just put it in manual mode and 2nd, 3rd and 4 th gear are very responsive. I haven't tried race start yet. I am guessing ther will be a software revision for the trani at some point.

Last edited by AugustWest; 12-05-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Originally Posted by AugustWest
I never even noticed the little sticker describing the recommended break in until I had 800 miles on the car. I was aware that you weren't suppose to floor it or use race start, though. I may have gone over the 4500 rpm limit a few times, though. Any way the car is great. I have 1500 miles on the car now. The transmission is a little unpredictable, though. It likes to shift to a higher gear when you are driving quite slowly, to save gas I guess. before you know it, the car is in 7th gear and you are only driving 50 mph. If you drive it in sport mode, it seems to be fine though. It is more responsive. Or just put it in manual mode and 2nd, 3rd and 4 th gear are very responsive. I haven't tried race start yet. I am guessing ther will be a software revision for the trani at some point.
i've gotten that response about the whole "high gear at low speeds" and also think about it sometimes. When it starts to annoy you, just keep the car in S with traction control off on the freeway and you'll unleash a completely different monster
Old 12-14-2010, 09:37 AM

W210/W202/W164
Massive
Old 12-28-2010, 08:28 PM

E63,,,not any more,,,BMW X5 50i
Originally Posted by dharrar
I took delivery of my SLS in late Sep, Imola Grey with the tan leather. I followed the recommendation and never floored it or did a full on downshift until getting an initial 1000 miles on it.

Then, much to my surprise, when I did try an all out launch the car hesitates, big time, barely moves and then perhaps a full second later something engages and it takes off. This is regardless of shift mode or ESP setting. Literally, floor it and nothing happens for a brief period!

Reading a story in the Mercedes Club Star Magazine about an owner of both an SLR and SLS, it said something similar about launching the SLS that had significant hesitation leaving me to conclude that more than mine have the problem.

My dealer did an initial reading of all of the codes without finding anything suspicious. Plan on taking it in to them in a week or so and leaving it until they resolve the problem.

I will be curious to learn how yours performs once you get the break-in miles done with. Send me a post. Thanks.
I think if you look up a search,,,you will find many "63 owners with the same issue,,,off idle hesitation,,,,I have it in mine (E63),,,but I understand very common to all '63 engines...MBUSA knows about it,,,very reluctant to do anything about it. I had my engine gaskets replaced,,,it helped,,,but didn't cure it completely..! Good Luck,,,,,,,beautiful car..!!!
Old 12-31-2010, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Very dumb question... but relevant for people in states like texas that require a front lic plate.... how does MB suggest you mount a front lic plate?
I would prob risk the ticket.

You have good taste.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
W203 C55 and SAAB 9-3 2.0T
^ F the front plate! ha I am im Dallas and I run a German plate that doesnt match my rear plates at all and never have any trouble at all.