SLS/R197/C197 AMG: Big Nose...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Originally Posted by absent
Moving the engine behind the front axle makes the car (effectively) a mid engine layout.
Huge benefits for handling but leaves a bit of space under the hood,a small price to pay IMO.
599 went the same route and it made wonders for the handling of such a heavy GT.
Ha Ha Ha, effectively makes it a mid engine layout, I suppose the 911 is a
mid engine layout because it's engine is over the back wheels.
Actually I know now why the long nose, apparently the prototypes had
shorter noses, and the car fell off the road. And as far as looks go, my SL63 draws attention too, and although a smidgen slower probably corners as good, AND is decidedly cheaper.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:27 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C63 ,2009 SL 63 AMG, 2011 SLS AMG
Originally Posted by sound 8
. And as far as looks go, my SL63 draws attention too, and although a smidgen slower probably corners as good, AND is decidedly cheaper.
you are really out of your mind. I have an SL63, propabley much more powerful than yours, it draws attention, yes, but not when driving side by side with an SLS. TRUS ME, at that point the attention for the SL is immediatley switched off

and to say that the SL63 corners as good as the SLS just shows that you really dont know what you are talking about. Listen friend, Nobody is listening to your pathetic haterd posts about the SLS. All you have is a Top Gear review. DRIVE ONE, to find out what the SLS REALLY is
Old 05-17-2011, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 247 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Ha Ha Ha, effectively makes it a mid engine layout, I suppose the 911 is a
mid engine layout because it's engine is OVER the back wheels.
You are not making any sense with the 911 comparison,you just said :"OVER the back wheels",that's not in front of them that would make it a mid engine layout.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Banned

You are not making any sense with the 911 comparison,you just said :"OVER the back wheels",that's not in front of them that would make it a mid engine layout.
He never made sense bro, hes got nothing
Old 05-17-2011, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The trouble with you guys is you have too much money and very little sense.
The word hatred doesn't really go with describing an inanimate object.
I don't hate the SLS anyway, the trouble is your not objective enough.
As far as your concerned you have bought it, therefore it's the best.
Nothing's perfect, and at least I am objective enough to praise it's good points, whilst criticizing it's poor points. I wish you would stop saying drive one!
I keep telling you, I can barely get in one, so what's the point. Lastly the
SLS or the 911 or not mid engine layouts, if you think they are it shows
how narrow minded you are
Old 05-17-2011, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And your not reading it properly. I said that because the engine was over
the back wheels you probably think it's mid engined, when in fact the engine
would have to be a lot further forward. Neither the SLS or the Porsche are
mid engined, in fact the Porsche design is an utter mess.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Banned

Oh and I suppose you have sense?

are you even aloud to say stuff like that? I hope the mods see this so they could ban your *** or give you an infraction
Old 05-17-2011, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
The word hatred doesn't really go with describing an inanimate object.
I don't hate the SLS anyway, the trouble is your not objective enough.
As far as your concerned you have bought it, therefore it's the best.
Nothing's perfect, and at least I am objective enough to praise it's good points, whilst criticizing it's poor points. I wish you would stop saying drive one!
I keep telling you, I can barely get in one, so what's the point. Lastly the
SLS or the 911 or not mid engine layouts, if you think they are it shows
how narrow minded you are
I think he was being objective, that is why he suggested you actually have to drive one to really get the feel and handling of it.

No one ever said the SLS was perfect, it is a beast of a car though. I know I mentioned it before, but I always defer to someone that has experienced something or if I can myself to formulate an opinion.

On the mid-engine...he was saying that it seemed as though you were implying they were mid-engine.

Quote:

I hate when these type of threads come up, everything gets all misinterpreted and goes into an insult. That does not add any value to the forum, I could understand if one said "I don't like the nose on the SLS" and left it at that. After-all, one can just have opinions on an object and varied they will be.

How about we jump back on some POV and experiences on the SLS? It's a lot more positive.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL55, 2006 CLS500, 2011 E350, 2011 SLS
Wink I have an alternative explanation for the long nose

Originally Posted by bigben320e
How about we jump back on some POV and experiences on the SLS? It's a lot more positive.
I've been lurking on this forum for since Jan 11 and find the posts from Sound8 about the superiority of his SL63 as compared to the SLSC interesting. But I really don't understand his point of continual comparison and criticism of the SLS on a forum that I assume is comprised primarily of SLS enthusiasts.

I recently moved up, IMHO, to an SLS after 155K miles in my 2004 SL55. Now that I have driven 5,500 miles in the SLS, I feel that it owns the SL55 in virtually all ways except for hard top convertible.

I accept Sound8's criticism of the SLS at face value on many points. I accept that his SL63 is a smidgen slower and probably corners as good. I accept that he made a better value financial decision in purchasing the SL63--I wish that I could make all of my buying decisions as smart as he does. I accept that his SL63 may draw as much attention, but I don't ever recall folks following me in my SL55 on and off the road taking pictures with their smart phones.

Sound8 has made it very clear that the SLS is not the car for him. I don't blame him since he has stated that he can't comfortably sit in one due to the interior ergonomics, therefore he appears not to have experienced an extensive test drive.

But what I can't figure is why he spends any time on this forum posting criticisms to educate us Padawans when it is clear from reading any of his posts that he is a Jedi Master in terms of auto assessments and evaluations. I got his position from the first of his posts that I read earlier this year. It seems that the SL forum would be more receptive to touting his SL63?

Notwithstanding the numerous shortcomings of the SLS, I suspect many will buy one because they are not willing to settle for "smidgen" and "probably" in their sports car performance and aren't bothered by spending the extra dollars to avoid those attributes when compared to the SL63, which is a very good GT BTW.

I still drive my SL55 on occasion and it has provided me with a good ownership experience (and I'm assuming that the SL63 would be similar), but the SLS is providing me with a great ownership experience.

Now that I think about it, maybe the long nose is designed to enhance the performance and correlate with a certain part of the owner's anatomy.

Photos of my SLS AMG, long bonnet inlcuded, obsidian black with designo sand leather.

Last edited by thetalent; 05-18-2011 at 05:52 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-18-2011, 03:05 AM
Banned

I agree with "The Talent", Nice car by the way. Sound 8 comes to these threads with patheric posts and hatred towards the SLS. Whats worse is he thinks the SL63 is better than the SLS. I drive an SL63, its a beautiful roadster, and i'm sure my SL will surly kill his (if he has one), but I have to admit, The SLS is superior than the SL. He sais that he doesnt like it, because he cant get into one, well, how the hell can you get into your SL?

Sound 8 almost does not exist in the SL forums, when you would think that since he has an SL63 he would be posting more over at those threads.

you hate the car, fine, dont post about it. What your doing makes you look Jealous and trying to reach something that is far better than what you can have

I hope the mods realise what trouble he is making in the SLS thread and ban him out of it.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
The talent and Jacob, great posts. These are the types of posts that actually bring some value about cars, (making good and bad points) in this case the SLS.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by thetalent
I've been lurking on this forum for since Jan 11 and find the posts from Sound8 about the superiority of his SL63 as compared to the SLSC interesting. But I really don't understand his point of continual comparison and criticism of the SLS on a forum that I assume is comprised primarily of SLS enthusiasts.

I recently moved up, IMHO, to an SLS after 155K miles in my 2004 SL55. Now that I have driven 5,500 miles in the SLS, I feel that it owns the SL55 in virtually all ways except for hard top convertible.

I accept Sound8's criticism of the SLS at face value on many points. I accept that his SL63 is a smidgen slower and probably corners as good. I accept that he made a better value financial decision in purchasing the SL63--I wish that I could make all of my buying decisions as smart as he does. I accept that his SL63 may draw as much attention, but I don't ever recall folks following me in my SL55 on and off the road taking pictures with their smart phones.

Sound8 has made it very clear that the SLS is not the car for him. I don't blame him since he has stated that he can't comfortably sit in one due to the interior ergonomics, therefore he appears not to have experienced an extensive test drive.

But what I can't figure is why he spends any time on this forum posting criticisms to educate us Padawans when it is clear from reading any of his posts that he is a Jedi Master in terms of auto assessments and evaluations. I got his position from the first of his posts that I read earlier this year. It seems that the SL forum would be more receptive to touting his SL63?

Notwithstanding the numerous shortcomings of the SLS, I suspect many will buy one because they are not willing to settle for "smidgen" and "probably" in their sports car performance and aren't bothered by spending the extra dollars to avoid those attributes when compared to the SL63, which is a very good GT BTW.

I still drive my SL55 on occasion and it has provided me with a good ownership experience (and I'm assuming that the SL63 would be similar), but the SLS is providing me with a great ownership experience.

Now that I think about it, maybe the long nose is designed to enhance the performance and correlate with a certain part of the owner's anatomy.

Photos of my SLS AMG, long bonnet inlcuded, obsidian black with designo sand leather.
Now here is a guy who can write a post ( even though it's his first ) it's
in plain well spelt English. He doesn't plow in with childish insults, and
a mine is better than your's attitude. I am surprised how a smallish gang of
SLS lovers or owners have formed, and because I dare say something
derogatory about the SLS I am labeled a person full of hatred and other
tiresome insults. The trouble is expressions such as, left for dead, blown into
the weeds , and yank your paint off are so ridiculously exaggerated I can't help
commenting on these foolish remarks. Once you have 500 bhp under your
bonnet , yes there will be cars that can overtake you, and some you can
overtake, so why do people exaggerate so much, and why do they always
compare their car with yours.I have never driven the SLS because I am so
wide it was painful with the door shut, so not for me. But the back is superb
the side is fine with excepting of looking slightly to long, head on I don't like.
It makes a noise like the 63, has the same gearbox, all good things. So yes
I do put constructive criticism in my posts about all vehicles, so I wish people
wouldn't take it personally. I had a SL55 for 5 years, wouldn't change it for anything, until I saw the SL63 and the 55 needed a few grand spent on it.
At first I was disappointed that it didn't have a supercharger, not from it's
performance, I just wanted one. But owning the 63 for a few days made me realize what a superb car this was, and I still think that way. Sure I would
like a turbo, but that could quiet the exhaust and with extra torque you may
not get the gearbox. Nothing is perfect, the SLS would leave me behind on
a drag, but it's not a convertible not as comfortable, and IMO not as good looking as my 63, except the back maybe. I will carry on singing it's praises
for a long time. I think Mercedes have made an attempt to bring the old and
the new together with the SLS, it's a lovely car but not for me. So please SLS
owners and lovers don't get the idea that I hate it, I don't hate anything
except warm beer, and by the way my anatomy doesn't extend to a big
hooter.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Banned

and by the way my anatomy doesn't extend to a big
hooter.
i'm pretty sure it does
Old 05-19-2011, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jacob502
i'm pretty sure it does
You know what they say, big nose means big you know what!
Old 05-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Banned

You know what they say, big nose means big you know what!
Not in your case for damn sure

dream on little man
Old 05-20-2011, 07:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
Sound 8, thanksfor clarifying...but what gets me a little about your position on this car is simply that for reasons mentioned, you cannot fit in this car comfortably you have not had the pleasure of being in one driven on the street. I to have a car with a 63 motor and I formed an opinion of the SLS that this car has the same powerplant as my car and because of some new internal parts puts out more HP. I loved the SLS when it was introduced due to its uniqueness and its almost super car presence, but couldnt justify it because it had the same powerplant as my car and I had the SL63 as possibly my next toy. Then while attending two AMG driving academy events, one in Dallas Motorsports Ranch and then in Mont Tremblant Circuit in Canada I drove among all the AMG cars a SL63 and the SLS. Well, my opinion of the SLS has changed. I was SHOCKED at how this car sounds and moves compared to all the other 63 motor equipped cars including the SL63 and my beloved C63. It makes a sound and gives a rush like you wouldnt understand until you have driven one. It is hard to believe that this car has the same based powerplant as an SL63, you wonder and cant get over it. This car sounds likes a race car inside and out, it is noticebly faster and may actually intimidate you on the first few laps where the SL63 simply doesnt as my car is more or less just as fast as and much better on a track, as per the AMG instructors as well. The SLS in my eyes is super car, which has led me to obsess about it daily. This will hopefully be my next toy, and the SL63 simply has not garnered any more thoughts of having one. You have no idea what you are forming your opinions about when you have not driven one, nor even have you been given a drive in one because you cant close the door. If there is any way in the future that you can somehow alter your physique which would allow you to sit and close a door in a SLS then please take one out for a drive, I am certain your opinion will change. Until then, you may only base your opinion on this car simply on looks and ergonomics.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 1st amg
Sound 8, thanks for clarifying...but what gets me a little about your position on this car is simply that for reasons mentioned, you cannot fit in this car comfortably you have not had the pleasure of being in one driven on the street. I to have a car with a 63 motor and I formed an opinion of the SLS that this car has the same powerplant as my car and because of some new internal parts puts out more HP. I loved the SLS when it was introduced due to its uniqueness and its almost super car presence, but couldn't justify it because it had the same powerplant as my car and I had the SL63 as possibly my next toy. Then while attending two AMG driving academy events, one in Dallas Motorsports Ranch and then in Mont Tremblant Circuit in Canada I drove among all the AMG cars a SL63 and the SLS. Well, my opinion of the SLS has changed. I was SHOCKED at how this car sounds and moves compared to all the other 63 motor equipped cars including the SL63 and my beloved C63. It makes a sound and gives a rush like you wouldnt understand until you have driven one. It is hard to believe that this car has the same based powerplant as an SL63, you wonder and cant get over it. This car sounds likes a race car inside and out, it is noticebly faster and may actually intimidate you on the first few laps where the SL63 simply doesnt as my car is more or less just as fast as and much better on a track, as per the AMG instructors as well. The SLS in my eyes is super car, which has led me to obsess about it daily. This will hopefully be my next toy, and the SL63 simply has not garnered any more thoughts of having one. You have no idea what you are forming your opinions about when you have not driven one, nor even have you been given a drive in one because you cant close the door. If there is any way in the future that you can somehow alter your physique which would allow you to sit and close a door in a SLS then please take one out for a drive, I am certain your opinion will change. Until then, you may only base your opinion on this car simply on looks and ergonomics.
Thanks for a nice reply, and I appreciate your thoughts. I have been a car
fanatic since I was 10. 10 years ago I was diagnosed with something nasty.
After treatment let's just say I had a very tender lower region. This put
owning anything with tight hard seats, a hard ride etc out of the question.
I soon found Mercedes seats were exactly what I needed, with Jaguar coming
second. My aim then was to own as many cars ( 0nes I liked ) before the
grim reaper called, well 10 years later and over 40 cars, not all expensive, I
still have tender regions. Now I would love to drive the SLS but when I finally
got into it, my hips and shoulders were hurting, with the help of the sales
guy I got out. So being physiological I can imagine what it would drive like.
It would be faster, but I would soon get used to an extra 5% , I imagine
the ride would be a little harder, the exhaust, very similar and the same
gearbox, which leaves the shape. Love the back, sides OK but front shot is
not my choice. This compared to my 63. My 63 has been re mapped with K&N
filters, so it's a bit nippier than standard. I drove the new Jaguar XKRs
recently it felt similar to my 63, nice noise but too quiet, very comfortable,
similar performance, maybe a tiny bit quicker, but one thing one the day, as
it does with the SLS, no tin convertible, I think that clinches the deal.
Attached Thumbnails Big Nose...-asl-011.jpga.jpg   Big Nose...-asl-006.jpga.jpg  
Old 05-20-2011, 03:24 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
This is 1stAMG responding using my brothers sign in as I am in his office.....Sound8 that is the reply that makes a whole lot of sense and this should put to rest the little forum war that was well under way. I get it now, your SL63 is no slouch and until the SLS came along, that was the coupe for me to get. But now its the SLS, anyhow your choice of color is the one that I had picked out if I was going the SL63 way, good on you to enjoy cars as they are a HUGE waste of money but they make you feel good, through good times and bad. Passion comes with a price, but man o man, the sound of these handbuilt 6.2 makes it justifiable in my little brain!
Old 06-17-2011, 04:04 PM

ML320 1999
yeah, the nose could definitely go shorter for a better look...but the performance on that car is top notch!
www.programainc.com
Old 06-26-2011, 03:59 AM

SLS AMG Iridium Silver Red Interior
In the flesh the long nose is fantastic. As is everything else. Grossly overweight, extremely tall, and chiropractically challenged people should buy a Bentley.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AugustWest
In the flesh the long nose is fantastic. As is everything else. Grossly overweight, extremely tall, and chiropractically challenged people should buy a Bentley.
Nah! if you want comfort, get a Citroen C5.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:50 AM
Banned

2011 SLS AMG
Originally Posted by AugustWest
I agree with you
Old 07-07-2011, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nah, not a Bentley, it may be British but I don't like them at all.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Banned

2011 SLS AMG
Nah, not a Bentley, it may be British but I don't like them at all.
That is the most positive thing I have heard from you so far By the way you SL looks nice.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:22 PM

2008 C350 Sport
[quote posted by thetalent] but I don't ever recall folks following me in my SL55 on and off the road taking pictures with their smart phones.

I was just searching to try and find out what this awe inspiring machine was that was cruising next to me along the NJ turnpike - and low and behold, I proved "thetalent's" point to a T - I was snapping pics at 85-90 mph for about 3 miles (explains the poor quality of said pics). Truly a work of art - I cannot recall snapping pics at cruising speeds for anything else on the road with the exception of the GT3 RS also attached...

I find it a little humorous that even at this level (based purely on sticker price) that the level of conversation is as immature as it is on the lowly W204 forum....at least you are not spray painting your wheels....
Attached Thumbnails Big Nose...-mb-wow3.jpg   Big Nose...-mb-wow.jpg   Big Nose...-gt3-rs.jpg