SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: is the Delius Klasing SLS coffee table book any good?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GT2 C63 and yo sister
is the Delius Klasing SLS coffee table book any good?

hopefully got the spelling right, anyone have this book, is it any good from an informational standpoint are there good technical articles or is it just artsy fartsy
Old 01-23-2014, 06:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
SLS AMG
It took awhile for you to receive a reply, but here you go... The short answer is: The book is "just artsy fartsy".

A longer answer is:

It's a very cool "coffee table book". If I had a coffee table and was going to put a book on it, this would be the one I'd want there. There are a couple of photographs in the book that are stunning.

But as for informative? It's not. It reads like slick marketing material you'd pick up at a dealership. The difference is this is printed on very nice paper in a very nice solid book instead of a glossy paperback pamphlet or book.

If you have the car, the book is a nice "keepsake" to have on hand. The car is special enough that it deserves a book like this.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:00 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
SLSAMG, S63 AMG Cabriolet Edition 130, ML55 AMG
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight
hopefully got the spelling right, anyone have this book, is it any good from an informational standpoint are there good technical articles or is it just artsy fartsy
In my opinion the Delius Klasing SLS AMG book is excellent! Having been a 300SL enthusiast since 1957, as a 1st grader, the SLS AMG Book was a must for my MB Literature collection. Once upon time, I collected MB dealership 300SL literature, & put together 300SL models, without an opportunity to own or drive the real thing. From 1987-2018 I was an enthusiastic 300SL owner & driver. In 2011, prior to participation in the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance with my 300SL, I drove it in the Tour d'Elegance. The rally was led by the late Sir Sterling Moss, in beautiful 300SL Roadster, & also a by a "launch edition" example of the SLS roadster, which had not yet ben released. The SLS Roadster combined MB sports car/racing history, tradition, & character with a commitment to carrying the MB-AMG brand into the future. The SLS AMG Book is clearly a marketing "tour de force", while it also delivers beautiful photos & tries to infuse the reader with the information & passion needed to fully appreciate the SLS AMG. The 1st Edition, published in 2010, featured beautiful black SLS GW on the cover, & was a large , well designed, well written, "coffee table" hard cover book delivered with each new SLS GW in a presentation case with a factory letter addressed to the new SLS owner. The book won the 2010 iF Communication award, a bronze Berliner type award, and the silver medal in the 2012 Best of Corporate Publishing Show. The book becomes more impressive when one has actually driven an SLS. A 2nd revised, expanded edition was published in 2011, & included photos, & discussions re the SLS roadster, GT3, & E-CELL versions.The GW, RO, GT3, & E-CELL were pictured on the cover. At the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in 2018, I was able to view the awards presentation in the MB lounge with head SLS designer Gorden Wagener, who had been tasked with putting the iconic '50's 300SL GW back on the road. Unlike the 300SL, the GW & RO versions of the SLS were conceived & developed at the same time. The book helps the reader to understand the intensity of the mission & to more fully comprehend the creation of a new "Silver Arrow". Having now owned an SLS RO for 18 months & 5000 trouble free miles, I get it. 37 months of a sprint from concept to production are artfully represented in the Klasing text. This book was designed to go with the car, as much as the owners manual. I feel that it is a must for every SLS owner. I keep my copy in the trunk when I attend events populated by MB enthusiasts. Regretfully, it is now out of print & difficult to find, especially if you wish to also have the presentation case & factory letter.

Last edited by Last300SL; 04-27-2020 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Typos
The following 2 users liked this post by Last300SL:
bteasley (04-22-2020), NewportSLS (04-24-2020)
Old 09-08-2021, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi A6
Originally Posted by Last300SL
In my opinion the Delius Klasing SLS AMG book is excellent! Having been a 300SL enthusiast since 1957, as a 1st grader, the SLS AMG Book was a must for my MB Literature collection. Once upon time, I collected MB dealership 300SL literature, & put together 300SL models, without an opportunity to own or drive the real thing. From 1987-2018 I was an enthusiastic 300SL owner & driver. In 2011, prior to participation in the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance with my 300SL, I drove it in the Tour d'Elegance. The rally was led by the late Sir Sterling Moss, in beautiful 300SL Roadster, & also a by a "launch edition" example of the SLS roadster, which had not yet ben released. The SLS Roadster combined MB sports car/racing history, tradition, & character with a commitment to carrying the MB-AMG brand into the future. The SLS AMG Book is clearly a marketing "tour de force", while it also delivers beautiful photos & tries to infuse the reader with the information & passion needed to fully appreciate the SLS AMG. The 1st Edition, published in 2010, featured beautiful black SLS GW on the cover, & was a large , well designed, well written, "coffee table" hard cover book delivered with each new SLS GW in a presentation case with a factory letter addressed to the new SLS owner. The book won the 2010 iF Communication award, a bronze Berliner type award, and the silver medal in the 2012 Best of Corporate Publishing Show. The book becomes more impressive when one has actually driven an SLS. A 2nd revised, expanded edition was published in 2011, & included photos, & discussions re the SLS roadster, GT3, & E-CELL versions.The GW, RO, GT3, & E-CELL were pictured on the cover. At the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in 2018, I was able to view the awards presentation in the MB lounge with head SLS designer Gorden Wagener, who had been tasked with putting the iconic '50's 300SL GW back on the road. Unlike the 300SL, the GW & RO versions of the SLS were conceived & developed at the same time. The book helps the reader to understand the intensity of the mission & to more fully comprehend the creation of a new "Silver Arrow". Having now owned an SLS RO for 18 months & 5000 trouble free miles, I get it. 37 months of a sprint from concept to production are artfully represented in the Klasing text. This book was designed to go with the car, as much as the owners manual. I feel that it is a must for every SLS owner. I keep my copy in the trunk when I attend events populated by MB enthusiasts. Regretfully, it is now out of print & difficult to find, especially if you wish to also have the presentation case & factory letter.
I totally agree with you!
It's an amazing book! I'd like to have it in my humble collection. I love books of various genres and even thought about writing a book. I think I need to improve my writing skills, and with ideas, I don't have any problems. This source helps me in many matters related to writing https://writinguniverse.com/knowledge-base/ Here I not only learn the techniques that professional writers use, but also draw ideas and inspiration.

Last edited by Robert Singer; 09-13-2021 at 04:03 AM.
Old 09-08-2021, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 145 Posts
SLS AMG
My son loves all of “his” books..

He can touch the car with his bare hands but not the books! 🤣