SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: Newbie with 2013 SLS GT- Rear Creak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 05:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newbie with 2013 SLS GT- Rear Creak

I live in Abu Dhabi and recently purchased a 2013 SLS GT with 11k KMS. The car is truly awesome.

I am having one small issue with is a creaking from the rear. Its there 100% when going over speed bumps but not smaller bumps. It seems to ba a trim or body issue rather than a suspension related one as it does not happen at the same frequency as shock absorber movements.

It seems to be from beneath the rear shelf or from the trunk lid.

The car does have a space saver lodged in the trunk but that seems pretty secure.

Any one suffered the same issue?
Old 07-05-2017, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 145 Posts
SLS AMG
Welcome! You will enjoy the heck out of this car. The SLS was built super solid. I have had zero issues with any squeeaks/rattles. Hopefully you can track it down. Please post up pics when you can!
Old 07-09-2017, 05:45 AM

2013 SLS GT in Abu Dhabi.

This is not my garage by the way! It's a shopping mall car park that by coincidence used an identical car in their branding..
Old 07-09-2017, 11:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E350, SLS AMG, Z8
Congratulations on your new ride from another SLS coupe owner in California!

On my 2012 SLS AMG, I would occasionally hear a squeak coming from the rear deck shelf on a bumpy road near my home. Lifting the shelf I found four plastic pins that seat into four plastic holders that secure the deck in place. I believe that the plastic pieces rubbing against each other caused this squeak. Applying a lubricant safe for plastic to the pins apparently has solved the problem for my car. I hope this approach works for you too. Let us know!

Newbie with 2013 SLS GT- Rear Creak-slide1.jpg
Old 07-09-2017, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
Originally Posted by lamak
2013 SLS GT in Abu Dhabi.

This is not my garage by the way! It's a shopping mall car park that by coincidence used an identical car in their branding..
Great looking SLS!!
Old 08-09-2017, 02:37 AM

So the my local MB Dealer diagnosed the problem to be either a faulty Anti Roll Bar or possibly the dampers.

MB has agreed to cover the work via goodwill. They will replace the ARB first and see if that solves the issue (I think it will given that the noise is from both sides and it feels 'interconnected') If not then they have agreed to replace the dampers too.

Great service...in fact so great it convinced me to purchase a new (demo) CLS400 as a daily driver.

It was a great deal given that the cars are about to be replaced.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:50 AM

E350, SLS AMG, Z8
Thank you for the updates! Interesting development on the potential problems causing the noise, and it make sense too if the bushings associated with these parts are exposed to a hot dry climate like yours.

Enjoy your new daily driver!
Old 08-09-2017, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
Yes Thanks for the update! It's super helpful to keep these threads updated for future SLS owners.

Now post more pics!
Old 08-15-2017, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Edez mb
Thank you for the updates! Interesting development on the potential problems causing the noise, and it make sense too if the bushings associated with these parts are exposed to a hot dry climate like yours.

Enjoy your new daily driver!
Thanks Ed...looks like we love the same cars..I have a Z8 too (2000 Silver/Red&Black)
Old 08-15-2017, 10:49 AM

E350, SLS AMG, Z8
Thanks Ed...looks like we love the same cars..I have a Z8 too (2000 Silver/Red&Black)
I wasn't expecting that response! My 2002 Z8 is black/red&black. I see you're also on Andrew's Z8 site.

Very different driving experience in the SLS, which makes for a good pairing.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:43 AM

So the my local MB Dealer diagnosed the problem to be either a faulty Anti Roll Bar or possibly the dampers.

MB has agreed to cover the work via goodwill. They will replace the ARB first and see if that solves the issue (I think it will given that the noise is from both sides and it feels 'interconnected') If not then they have agreed to replace the dampers too.

Great service...in fact so great it convinced me to purchase a new (demo) CLS400 as a daily driver.

It was a great deal given that the cars are about to be replaced.
I forgot to update this thread. The dealer was awesome. They fitted the new ARB but it didn't solve the issue and so they went ahead and changed both rear damper units and that did the trick. They also adjusted the side panels on the seat as this was creaking too...

After this, I just had 2 loud rattles when going over the horrible ceramic (yes ceramic!) lane dividers we have in Abu Dhabi. I am not sure these rattles would appear in any other country.. these dividers are pure punishment for cars in Abu Dhabi. After a lot of trial and error I found the source of the rattles.

1. The interior light console was slightly loose. I carefully prised it out of the housing on the roof (using a door trim removal tool on the side facing/nearest the rear window). There are two tabs that hold the console in place that need pusing back to release the console. I found some foam packing that looks very OEM and fitted it to the void area in the roof of the car and this then stopped any play between the console and the housing/roof liner.

2. The glovebox lid was slighlty loose on one side. I added a small felt insualation on the inside of the glovebox that the lid latches to.

The car feels 90% more solid with all this done. Last piece is to fix a few small rattles and small squeaks from the rear parcel shelf.
The following users liked this post:
Edez mb (12-27-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
Thank you for updating the thread! Post more pics when you get a chance