Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1963 220Sb
the Smart in select US cities??

USA: DC considers MCC Smart for selected US cities - report
26 Jul 2002
Source: just-auto.com editorial team

NEW: Receive news on this subject in your inbox...

e-mail this to a colleague
printable version
send us some feedback
why subscribe?

A BusinessWeek report suggests that DaimlerChrysler is seriously evaluating proposals to sell the MCC Smart car in selected US cities. The report suggests that the idea of marketing the cars in the US has gained currency internally within DC in the face of MCC losses of around $300 million per annum.

A price tag as high as $15,000 per unit and sales of 8,000 units a year in the US would make marketing the diminutive city cars in the US very profitable and support the under-pressure marque.

The car has achieved some success in European cities such as Berlin and Rome, and the BusinessWeek report suggests that the cars could be made available in 'hip cities' such as Los Angeles, Miami, and New York. A convertible would likely sell well in California.

Wes Brown, an analyst at Nextrend Inc., told BusinessWeek that he believes US sales of the Smart could reach 20,000 vehicles a year. "It's a cool-looking car," he says. "Nothing else looks like it on the road."

Although DC's Smart division is losing money, the sales figures for DaimlerChrysler's Micro Compact Car (MCC) smart city-coupé and cabrio rose by 6.3% in the first half of the year over the same period of last year, to 62,450 units.

The brand also benefits from the addition of a 4-seater to be unveiled in Europe in 2004, which shares platform (Z-car) and componentry with a small Mitsubishi
Old 07-27-2002, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
Canada

Well, D-C is more than "thinking about" bringing the smart to Canada - they have some here already for evaluation purposes and I've test driven two of them on Vancouver Island already(see "smart in Canada" thread below).

I've got a $500 deposit on one along with at least 50 others at my local dealer. The dealership expects to be taking orders a year from now, with deliveries in late 2003. He's "99.3%" sure they're coming here.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
red bicycle
There is a similar article on 4car.co.uk

http://www.4car.co.uk/jsp/main.jsp?lnk=211&id=4075

Todd
Old 08-03-2002, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
update

According to a contact in North Vancouver, where a hardtop (glass roof) smart coupé was on display for a few days, that single M-B dealer has over 200 firm pre-orders for the smart, so far. My small M-B dealer in Victoria BC has about 40 pre-orders (deposits).

I think this kind of response indicates a few things:

1. M-B Canada MUST import the car, ASAP
2. the idea that North Americans all want huge cars is dead wrong
3. this car would be a huge success, especially in urban areas.