Smart Car Discussion on the Smart Car.

Smart Car Service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2006 | 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smart Car Service

I am an ASE certified tech with many years of import service under my belt. I have; however, met my first Smart Car. I am helping out my customer, because she does not want to drive 300 miles to get it serviced. I am looking for any outlet on service manuals that will help me in the future. I can talk to the vehicle with my Modis from Snap-On, but only with the global function. I need to get parts from California, a real pain....looking for better outlet. She is experiencing a P0301 misfire on cyl#1. I have been told the the .7 ltr. have a reoccurring HLA "hydraulic lash adjuster" sticking condition causing multiple misfires. A Mr. Avo in in California stated this to me, but I have no tappet sound, such as you would get from a sticking/lazy HLA. We are pretty confident that we may have a #1 coil breaking down, due to the way the vehicle looses power at the time of the failure. It can not be duplicated in the shop, only on take off under a load...we live in the mountains...lots of load situations. We will take Mr. Avo's advice and change the oil after running a little trans fluid through it. Well we have an amsoil cleaner that will dissolve any crud build up, and will be less aggressive than the trans oil. Than we will use amsoil synthetic to refill. I would enjoy some contact with somebody that has experienced this "miss fire" condition.
I will check this thread throughout the day.

Thanks

Scott in Murphy, NC