Smart Car Discussion on the Smart Car.

Has The Smart Car Passed Nhtsa Crash Tests Yet?

Old 01-20-2002, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Has The Smart Car Passed Nhtsa Crash Tests Yet?

Back in early 2001, I enquired about the possibility of importing a Smart Car to the USA. I was told that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) was conducting crash and other safety tests to determine whether the Smart Car met US standards, however I have been unable to find these results.

My questions are:

1) Does anyone know if the Smart Car did successfully pass these tests?

2) Does anyone know when/if the Smart Car will be imported/sold in the states anytime in the forseeable future?

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2002, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

well from what i have seen, i doubt it will pass at all... besides i think MB or should i say DC (Daimler Chrysler) would rather bring in the A class instead of the SMART vehicle.
Old 07-13-2002, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
Wrong Answer!

Originally posted by Silver_Lana
[B]well from what i have seen, i doubt it will pass at all[B]
Exactly what "have you seen" that leads you to this definitive-sounding conclusion? References, please. Prejudicial remarks without back-up are not helpful; in fact they can be destructive and betray a certain ignorance

To answer the original question, although I am not sure of any NHTSA testing of the smart, I would point out the following:

The smart is sold in Europe, where the required crash test results are at least as strict as in the USA.

Further, independent testing done by the European New Car Assessment Program (EuroNCAP) indicated that the Smart is in the 50th percentile for crash test results for cars of all sizes, receiving a three star rating, better than many mid-sized sedans. EuroNCAP tests include a 40 MPH offset deformable fixed barrier frontal crash and a side impact test.

The test results for the smart were FAR superior to the 2000 and earlier model year Chrysler Caravan, a vehicle that in the EuroNCAP test scored ZERO in the frontal collision. So if the zero-scoring Caravan is "safe" enough for the NHTSA to let Americans drive it, they will definitely feel the same way about the far safer smart.

The smart also equalled the W 202 C-Class in crash performance.

You may see for yourself at www.euroncap.com

Luckily we are getting the smart in Canada next year. I hope the USA gets them too.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:06 AM

96 maruthi
Post Has The Smart Car Passed Nhtsa Crash Tests Yet?

Good news for 2008 Smart Fortwo owners, the Smart car finally passes our U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) crash tests. The Smart has passed all European safety tests, which many say are superior to U.S.A.these smart car is provide more successful for these tests.
http://www.smartcarvideosite.com/