Old 08-16-2003, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
smart roadster V-6 biturbo

Old "news" from smart Media Services:

Prototypes with new engine
offer considerably more power and torque

Eight smart roadster-coupés with higher power and higher torque engines will take part in the celebration rally to mark “100 years of the Solitude race” (25 – 27 July 2003). Two standard three-cylinder engines have been joined to create a v6 bi-turbo with 1,396 cc engine capacity, power output of 125 kW (170 bhp) and torque of 220 Newton metres.

The prototypes are proof of the achievement potential and versatility of the production car concept. The bi-turbo engines serve to demonstrate the technology and underline the sporty handling performance of the smart roadster and roadster-coupé. The cars which will participate in the Solitude rally have a power/weight ratio of just 4.9 kilogrammes per bhp, accelerate from 0 – 100 km/h in less than 6 seconds and reach a top speed of more than 220 kilometres per hour.

The smart roadster and roadster-coupé are just perfect for the historic racing course near Stuttgart. With their launch in April of this year the segment of the compact and purist roadster was revived, which has not existed in this form since the 50s and 60s of the last century.

Eight vehicles with v6 bi-turbo engines will participate in each of the Solitude regularity races on Saturday and Sunday afternoon. Not only legendary racing drivers of the 50s and 60s will sit behind the wheel of the prototypes – well-known names today will also take a seat in the smart roadster. They will do several laps of the 4.6 kilometre course and try to drive a time set by the former silver arrow pilot Hans Herrmann.

100 years ago the first Solitude race was held on a hill-climb course from Stuttgart to Solitude castle. Over time this race became one of the most renowned events in the motorsport scene. After the second world war, the world champions and European champions met there every summer to compete against each other on the difficult course. 200,000 spectators watched the last race which took place on July 18th 1965.

smart roadster biturbo 1,396 cc V-6
Bore x stroke (mm): 66.5 x 67
Rated output (kW): 125 at 5,550/rpm
Max. torque (Nm): 220 at 2,250 - 4,500/rpm
Compression ratio: 9.0 : 1

Acceleration: 0-100 km/h in < 6 seconds
Maximum speed: > 220 km/h

My commentary: So when will smart decide to build a commercial series of roadsters with this drivetrain? I don't think this kind of engineering is done for a lark, a one-off event like the solitude hillclimb's anniversary....
Old 08-16-2003, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

photo

The V-6 biturbo looks like a roadster-coupé generally, if a little meaner...
Attached Thumbnails smart roadster V-6 biturbo-roadster-v-6-biturbo-1.jpg  
Old 08-16-2003, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

powerplant

The corporate heritage is evident here...
Attached Thumbnails smart roadster V-6 biturbo-roadster-v-6-biturbo-2.jpg  
Old 08-25-2003, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c32
gotta have one

mike, you often post about the Smart and family. Any clue how I could get one. Can I do a european delivery Even if it is not street legal in U.S. I may be able to get away with it in my home town. Maybe use for special events?
Attached Thumbnails smart roadster V-6 biturbo-germany-037.jpg  
Old 08-31-2003, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sorry I'm late

Hmm, I was away on holiday, this area is usually dead, sorry for the delay.

I am not the right person to ask about importing a non-conforming car to the USA. But....

I heard from the Toyota dealers here in Canada that the new tiny "Echo Hatch", which really is the European-designed Toyota Yaris, is not sold in the USA due to Americans "not liking small cars". So the local dealer told me that four US residents recently took delivery of Echo Hatches (which, by the way, are not hideous like the Echo) and are importing them to the USA. I guess if the car can be sold here in BC it is smog-legal even in California, and Canadian safety standards are similar (but not identical to) the US standards.

The smart cdi direct injection Diesel in both city-coupé and cabriolet form will be sold in Canada beginning in 2004 (probably mid-year). So once that happens, it might be worth seeing if it's possible to import the car for the same reasons I explained above, in the case of the Toyota Echo Hatch.

Supposedly the smart SUV stupidly named ForFive will be sold in the USA in 2005 or so....but I wouldn't hold your breath, as the A-Class would have been coming too but reportedly M-B USA is having second thoughts.

It would be frustrating to own a car like this and not be ale to drive it.....
Old 08-31-2003, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c32
would drive

Mike, if I knew how to purchase and get delivered , I feel I could drive it locally without hassle! Except for those how would want one!! also , thats my C32 in the reflection . We did the european delivery. That is where I first saw the SMART
Attached Thumbnails smart roadster V-6 biturbo-germany-037.jpg  
Old 09-01-2003, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK

Go to www.smart.com and request a brochure in English. That should whet your appetite. Get a roadster brochure too, or at least ask for it. I got one!

I have heard things about non-conforming cars in the USA being impossible to register. Peugeot of America Inc (they're still there in NJ, but haven't sold a car for 12 years now) brings over EU-model cars for their USA office staff to drive on manufacturer plates. After six months, they have to crush them or export them back to Europe. They crush them, as it turns out.

I think you should contact your DMV to see what the scoop is.