Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 10:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 Smart fortwo - Edition #1
Exclamation System Inoperative

Hi All,

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

I drive a 2016 Smart fortwo - edition #1. It is a leased vehicle with only 11,800 miles on it. I have been the only owner.
I was driving on a main road doing a normal acceleration at 45mph.
Then all of a sudden within the next 15 seconds all of this happened in this order:
the ABS orange light came on
the digital display of the transmission (P,R,N,D,S) disappears from the dashboard
the dashboard digital display throws up a warning and says, "system inoperative"
the car has no gas power / accelleration
car begins to shut down and slow down
I pull off the road onto a neighborhood street
the car is totally shut down (including radio and lights)
I roll to a stop

I then put the car in park and turn the key to the off position. I removed the keys for about 30 seconds and then restarted the car. The car restarted and had no issues. I drove the car to my destination, no more than 20 miles away, and then parked. I had the vehicle towed to the dealership where I started the lease and one of the only places that services Smartcars.

Thank goodness I was on a 45mph road as this vehicle typically only goes on interstate with speeds up to 80mph and MANY bridges over water. What if this happened when I was on a major bridge?!

The Mercedes dealership who is looking at the vehicle is saying that there isn't a code for what happened and they cannot recreate this issue. They are driving it around and trying to find the problem. Like I said before, the vehicle only has 11,800 miles on it. So does this problem only happen every 12k miles or what? I FEEL SO UNSAFE.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON OR WHAT I SHOULD DO?!

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you!
The following 2 users liked this post by hatbeach:
jstillo91 (11-19-2022), lediluck (01-09-2019)
Old 04-04-2018, 11:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 Smart fortwo - Edition #1
UPDATE 4/3/2018:
MB cleared my car and said there was no issue. When I arrived at the dealership to pick up my car the service adviser told me about an alarm issue the car was having. He stated the alarm went off over 4 times over a two hour window when the keys were put away. They have kept the car and are inspecting further. I then explained to the dealer how my A/C takes forever to get cold and usually kicks in cold once I gain speed in the car. I also informed them about a weird radio issue, the speakers play in some then once going for a while they all turn on and the sounds will move around the car. The A/C and radio issue I thought were just "normal" things to happen in a Smart car as it is a new vehicle for less than 20k.

Hopefully I get some kind of answer. I will keep this updated.

AGAIN, ANY HELP OR ADVICE IS APPRECIATED!
The following users liked this post:
jstillo91 (11-19-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 Smart 453 1st Edition Gas
Did you ever end up getting the problem fixed on your 2016 1st edition?