Smart Car Discussion on the Smart Car.

Problems!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 12:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 Smart Fortwo EQ
Exclamation Problems!!!

So I have recently (4 months ago in Florida) purchased a 2018 Smart EQ and I was enjoying the wonderful simplicity of this car when out of no where I get hit with this error code (pic attached) and so I pull over and attempt to turn it off and on again and it shows the same code. I call for the tow truck and wait almost 4hrs for them to show up and when I get it back home it turns on and shows no code!!! I am completely at a loss... So I try to find the nearest dealer, and according to google there is only 1 dealer that services Smart Cars and that is Aristocrat MB. So I call them and they do not accept electric vehicles...(How does a manufacturer make a vehicle and then give no support?!?!?!) I have tried to find a shop that works on EV's and found one, but when I called them all I heard was the echo of my wallet crying from how much they were going to charge to "re-create so as to figure out the problem". I am so frustrated... has anyone had this problem? I bought a code diagnostic tool so maybe this will help out... but who knows.

Error that showed up.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:30 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2014 Smart ForTwo Passion Cabrio
You might want to start by buying a code reader like the Autel AP200, selecting the Smart Car diagnostics as your default and then seeing what the car tells you is wrong.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:12 PM

2018 Smart Fortwo EQ
Originally Posted by flybd5
You might want to start by buying a code reader like the Autel AP200, selecting the Smart Car diagnostics as your default and then seeing what the car tells you is wrong.
Hello flybd5, I have recently purchased the FIXD OBDII and when I tried to connect it to my car it was not getting any power to the port... so I am going to check the fuses tonight to see if any of them are blown. I hope this can resolve the ODBII no power issue. I appreciate the feedback!!! I will post my findings as soon as I can.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:59 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2014 Smart ForTwo Passion Cabrio
It may be the batteries are really dead, in which case you need to put a booster somewhere to power up the electronics, otherwise OBDII will not tell you squat. Don't you have a warranty on this car? Maybe a lemon law protection? You may want to consider cutting your losses and sending it back on a tow truck. "Fix it or give me my money back."
Old 08-18-2022, 09:22 AM

2018 Smart Fortwo EQ
Unhappy

Originally Posted by flybd5
It may be the batteries are really dead, in which case you need to put a booster somewhere to power up the electronics, otherwise OBDII will not tell you squat. Don't you have a warranty on this car? Maybe a lemon law protection? You may want to consider cutting your losses and sending it back on a tow truck. "Fix it or give me my money back."
I honestly want to do that but the fact that I bought the car in Florida and there are no lemon laws in FL and coupled with the fact that the dealership did give me a 3 month 30k warranty after purchase and just as my luck would have it the problem happened in the 4th month... so I am at a fix it or scrap it crossroads... I have no choice but to fix it... I got caught up in a bunch of things last night but when I get home from work today I am going to disconnect the 12V and take it to my local Sam's Club and have them check it and afterward check all the fuses to ensure they are all good then after that I may just start dismantling the whole damn car to learn on my own... I wish I could find the MB Technicians manual to purchase to help me out a little bit... but I gotta do something.... and I am going to video the whole thing so I can help others out who want EV's but don't have that Tesla $$$ like myself.

...on another note I went into the car this morning and when I opened the door a new alert came on... its attached below.