Suggestions & Feedback Use this forum to post and discuss suggestions for both the MBworld.org Disucussion Forums and the the MBworld.org Website.

Suggestion for Replies.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Cool Suggestion for Replies.

I am still new to this site; the forums are pretty interesting and the layout quite pleasant. I just tried to use the suggestions page for this suggestion but some "http error" kept on showing up. So here I go..

On thing I'd like changed quickly is the Reply format - it's difficult to tell how replies are related to specific messages, especially questions. Replies to a particular question may come several posts after "sub replies", which may not be directly related to the original question, have been posted. It could be embarassing when one gives a good reply to the wrong question to the wrong person - I saw it yesterday in one of the sections. Many other forums solve this by indenting all replies under the original question, and indenting replies to replies under the replies, and so forth. We could do same. However, if the "Replies" column is made clickable, all replies to specific questions can be accessed via the Replies column. Replies to a reply or consequent/resulting replies can be handled similarly. Do I make any sense??? Any comments/suggestions?
Old 12-10-2001, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Wow, you lost me there but the way to reply to any individual post inside a thread is to use the "Quote" button which is right above the "Post Reply" button (if you are quoting the last post) or at the bottom of the post you want to quote. Once you click this it will place the quotes of the post you are going to reply to above your text that you type. I hope this made sense and I will move this to the Suggestion Forum at this point.

Last edited by Vic55; 12-10-2001 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-10-2001, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Re: Suggestion for Replies.

Originally posted by Darkmann
I am still new to this site; the forums are pretty interesting and the layout quite pleasant. I just tried to use the suggestions page for this suggestion but some "http error" kept on showing up. So here I go..

On thing I'd like changed quickly is the Reply format - it's difficult to tell how replies are related to specific messages, especially questions. Replies to a particular question may come several posts after "sub replies", which may not be directly related to the original question, have been posted. It could be embarassing when one gives a good reply to the wrong question to the wrong person - I saw it yesterday in one of the sections. Many other forums solve this by indenting all replies under the original question, and indenting replies to replies under the replies, and so forth. We could do same. However, if the "Replies" column is made clickable, all replies to specific questions can be accessed via the Replies column. Replies to a reply or consequent/resulting replies can be handled similarly. Do I make any sense??? Any comments/suggestions?
Unfortunately, the only way to keep track is to use the "quote" feature, as Vic55 just explained. What you're talking about is a "threaded" structure which is not implemented in this forum software. It would be nice to have it, though.
Old 12-10-2001, 11:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Originally posted by Vic55
Wow, you lost me there but the way to reply to any individual post inside a thread is to use the "Quote" button which is right above the "Post Reply" button (if you are quoting the last post) or at the bottom of the post you want to quote. Once you click this it will place the quotes of the post you are going to reply to above your text that you type. I hope this made sense and I will move this to the Suggestion Forum at this point.
Thanks Vic55. That's extremely good information. I'm sure not too many people on the board know this - because I don't see it used more often. I still think that using the Replies column is more direct. Curently, when you click on the Replies colum, there is a lot of information about the original poster and their messages. Why not just include a nested thread of the replies there as well.