Suggestions & Feedback Use this forum to post and discuss suggestions for both the MBworld.org Disucussion Forums and the the MBworld.org Website.

How much does a site like this cost to run?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 AMG
How much does a site like this cost to run?

Mods, maybe you can help me out here.
Im thinking about proposing a site like this for my school. Alot of corporations have them and get some really productive feedback off of the site, i believe that it could be integrated into my school's high tech, communication focused environment. The communication on here is great, and i think a message board would really generate alot of communication that could improve the campus and provide feedback on certain issues to the administration and student leaders.

I need to know things like:
What software and hardware are needed to run a forum like this?
What kind of investment are we talking about (For 4000-5000 members)?

The school already has very capable tech services (all students are given laptops twice during their 4 years here, and there is an on site IBM service facility). I have a meeting with someone at Information Systems this week and would like to bring it up. Let me know in this thread, via PM, or via Email. Thanks
Old 01-31-2006, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320 Sport Sedan 4MATIC, Cayenne S, Bayliner Capri V8, Subaru STi
http://www.vbulletin.com/

Old 01-31-2006, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
Well if its for your school, wouldnt you have students setting it up? You can find the php code for free online to set up a message board, then you just modify that to get it to do what you want. The expensive part is the physical server and ISP.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
King, hit me up on AIM. I have lots of friends involved in hosting and what not and can give you accurate price quotes.

You have to start with a few things. If you want to use vBulletin, you have to pay for a license, or you can go free with phpBB software.

Then you need to pay for a server to host the information which can run from anywhere from 10$/month to 1000$/month to even more.

Now you have to start paying for bandwidth in and out of the server.

It gets even more complex if you have multiple servers and what not. It's a lot of work to manage and take care of a website.