Suggestions & Feedback Use this forum to post and discuss suggestions for both the MBworld.org Disucussion Forums and the the MBworld.org Website.

Beware of Phishing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Bentley Continental GTC
Beware of Phishing

In recent days when I would come to MBWorld I would sometimes get a window open that tells me my browser doesn't have the most up-to-date media player. I made the mistake of clicking on the "update" and as a result, invited a bunch of malware to invade my computer! I don't know if this malware has invaded MBWorld's site, but my son was able to find out how to remove it and my computer is no longer "possessed".

So, my message is to forum members: If you get a new window open when you come here and it tells you to update your media player or your browser, just close your browser and start over; don't click on it.

And, to the moderators of MBWorld: in case the site has been invaded by malware, you should run an anti-malware program to find out and remove, if applicable.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Received 515 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
I have also had that message pop up a couple of times when on MBworld. I never paid much attention to it because I thought my iOS software generated the message.

I move this thread to a sub-forum that is monitored by administration.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:25 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Received 462 Likes on 348 Posts
Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
In recent days when I would come to MBWorld I would sometimes get a window open that tells me my browser doesn't have the most up-to-date media player. I made the mistake of clicking on the "update" and as a result, invited a bunch of malware to invade my computer! I don't know if this malware has invaded MBWorld's site, but my son was able to find out how to remove it and my computer is no longer "possessed".

So, my message is to forum members: If you get a new window open when you come here and it tells you to update your media player or your browser, just close your browser and start over; don't click on it.

And, to the moderators of MBWorld: in case the site has been invaded by malware, you should run an anti-malware program to find out and remove, if applicable.
Hi and thank you for posting. IB is aware of the infrequent redirects for some members and working to remove them.

To all members, be very cautious of any full screen pop up that warns your computer software is out of date. Close that window and go directly to the software website and check for upates. An example of a phishing redirect is below. Finally, please report any such redirects here and if possible capture a screen shot and the URL you were viewing and when it occurred. Thank you!

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Beware of Phishing-capture1_zps267fc651.jpg