Suggestions & Feedback Use this forum to post and discuss suggestions for both the MBworld.org Disucussion Forums and the the MBworld.org Website.

Can someone get this to mbtech208 for me?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 09:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford Pinto
Can someone get this to mbtech208 for me?

His private message box is full. Thank you in advance.

I plan on replacing my fuel sending units on my 2002 C240. When we fill the car up, the guage reads about 3/4 of a tank and goes to empty after 200 miles.

My wife got a quote from the dealer for $750 to replace them. That seems high to me. I was expecting around $350. We made the appointment during the warranty period, but the appointment date was 5 days out of the period. We had no idea this was the case. We purchased the extra year warranty but it started when we passed 50k miles, not at the end of the third year.

I have put heads/cam on my 1999 Z28, so I do have some ability to work on cars. Been involved in multiple gear changes and most everything else a car freek does.

How hard is it to replace both sending units on a 240 and do I have to have any special tools? I assume there is an o-ring I should be replacing on each but my knowledge is limited on these cars.

I plan on posting a step by step install guide with pictures. I have done this for my 1999 Z28 and it became a huge hit to those wanting to modify their cars but not knowing the way to go about it. You can check out my install guides at www.installuniversity.com

I tell you all this so you won't think I am another goober just trying to get info. from ya. I plan on repaying the board by posting this install guide. I have been a member of the board quite a while and have noticed you are extremely knowledgable on them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric Barger
wizkid on the board
Old 09-12-2004, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you tried emailing him?
Old 09-13-2004, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
I will email him and see if he can drop on by here. Haven't seen him around here in quite some time.

Have you asked the dealer if they will goodwill this repair as it happened so close to the warranty expiration ?

They are usually good about doing that when it was so close. 5 Days....
Old 09-13-2004, 07:27 AM

Ford Pinto
I have not tried emailing because I couldn't find an email address. Maybe I overlooked it. I will look at his profile again.

Yes, we asked them why the repair couldn't be done. We called and made the appointment before the warranty expired, although we did not realize we were so close to the warranty period.

MB says the extended warranty starts when your MILEAGE goes over 50k, not after your two year term. We were not aware of this and thought we had three whole years or 100k. That is not the case evidently.

Thank you for your help. My website is starting to look like a MB website for install documents.

MBTech's help will go a long way in helping other members here.

Eric
www.installuniversity.com - MB Installation Documentation
Old 09-13-2004, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Here is what MBtech wrote back to me saying,

"If he made the appointment when the car was still under warranty, the person taking the appointment should have noted that the car was still covered at the time of the call. I'd throw a fit.

....Anyways, first you want to run the car until it's low on gas, because you'll have to reach in the top of the gas tank, and if it's full your arm will be submerged up to the elbow in gas. There are two different kinds of fuel senders for the left side. One
has a 4 pin connector, one has a five pin. Make sure you have the correct one before going too far. The parts department is apt to screw that up. The job itself is easy. Take off the four bolts holding the rear seat cushion on (careful with the plastic bolt
trim covers, they always break). If your car has folding seats, just fold the cushions forward. There are two metal covers over the fuel sender units, they're just bolted on, you'll see. There is a special tool to unscrew the retaining rings, but it shouldn't
be too hard to remove without the tool. It's literally too easy to describe, once you're in there it's all self-explanatory."
Old 09-13-2004, 04:42 PM

Ford Pinto
Thank you! That is the kind of explanation I needed.

When I get this done and wroteup, mabye I can get you to pass along another short email for me.

Thanks again!!

Eric Barger
www.installuniversity.com