Suggestions & Feedback Use this forum to post and discuss suggestions for both the MBworld.org Disucussion Forums and the the MBworld.org Website.

Auxiliary Power On; Doors Won’t Lock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL550
Auxiliary Power On; Doors Won’t Lock

I have an electrical gremlin that I can’t figure out. I’m hoping that someone out there has a similar issue and knows the fix. To explain my issue, I would like to first explain what should happen. My GL550 has keyless entry and keyless go.

This is what should happen when parking the vehicle:

1) Stop the vehicle.

2) Put it in park.

3) Push the ignition button to shut off the engine. Dash will turn off, but radio will stay on until driver’s side door is opened.

4) Open driver’s side door. Door will unlock, radio will turn off, and interior lights will turn on.

5) Exit the vehicle and close the door. Interior lights will stay on until you lock the vehicle.

6) Lock the vehicle using the button on the door handle, or on the key fob. Interior lights go off.

Lately, this is what’s happening:

1) Stop the vehicle.

2) Put it in park.

3) Push the ignition button to shut off the engine. Dash will turn off, but radio will stay on even after the driver’s side door is opened.

4) Open driver’s side door. Door will unlock, radio will NOT turn off, and interior lights will NOT turn on.

5) Exit the vehicle and close the door. Interior lights still off and radio still on.

6) Doors will NOT lock with the door handle button, or with the key fob.

My work arounds to date:

Option 1) Lock and unlock the vehicle several times before opening the driver’s door. This works about 10% of the time.

Option 2) Exit the vehicle and open and close the driver’s door multiple times until the radio turns off. This works about 10% of the time.

Option 3) Exit the vehicle and close the driver’s door. Push and hold the lock button on the door handle until the radio shuts off and the door locks. This can take up to 10 seconds and works about 50% of the time.

Option 4) Unlock all doors, exit the vehicle and close the driver’s door, open and close the driver’s side rear door, then open the driver’s door once again. The radio will now turn off about 80% of the time, allowing the vehicle to be locked.

Option 5) Remove the ignition cover. Insert and remove the key. The radio will turn off and able to lock the vehicle with the key fob only. This works 100% of the time, but the keyless entry will not work the next time you use the vehicle; you need to use the key fob to unlock.
Option 6) Found this by accident. Open the rear hatch, then close it using the “close and lock” button on the hatch. This works 100% of the time, but I don’t want to resort to this every time I want to turn off the auxiliary power and lock the vehicle.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.