Notices

W221 Shifts gears but car won't move! Please help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W221 S500 4matic
W221 Shifts gears but car won't move! Please help!

Hi all,

I have a W221 S500 4matic. Year: 2007, 60K miles.

I had a full transmission rebuild except the electronic part, around 6 months ago, because I had a gear slipping from 3d to 4th. I also changed the hydraulic torque converter. After that, I only drove for 8K miles.

I had no problems with the transmission whatsoever, everything worked smooth and perfect. 2 days ago, I started the car, drove to the highway and accelerated fast. At around 60 mph, the car stopped accelerating but revs were still going up as if I was reving in Neutral. There was no mechanical noise, no bumps, nothing. I stopped, switched the car off. All gears shift on the dashboard perfectly and you can actually hear the click when they change, however the car won't move. Parking works fine.

I would of brought it to the guys who rebuilt the gearbox, since I still have a warranty, however, this all happened in a different country since I took the car to Spain.

Took it to the workshop. The diagnostics show two errors: P0717 - Input/turbine Speed Sensor Circuit no signal.
P0894 - Transmission Component Slipping or wrong gear.

There is no oil leak. Drained the oil, the oil is clean, not burnt, no metal shavings. First they suggested it to be the mechatronic the electrical part. However, usually the car still moves in emergency mode with this problem, but mine won't move. Also, this problem doesn't appear out of nowhere usually.

Another expert suggested that it's the oil pump that went out so there's no pressure and suggested a full rebuild again and change the hydraulic torque converter again.

Perhaps someone faced this problem before. Please help cos everyone suggests different.

Thank you!