Notices

"Service engine due in " what the heck does it mean???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 350 2007
"Service engine due in " what the heck does it mean???

Good time of the day people, I've purchased American 2008 Mercedes e class, i have it for about a month and I've done all necessary repairs (there were very little to do though since car is in a good shape) and of course changed engine oil with all the filters, but for two days now it started flashing the warning sign:

The only idea that comes to mind is the fact that I haven't set it to zero after changing oil, maybe that's the cause. Please give me the advice, i don't want to go to Mercedes center, they will shave off tons of money....
Old 07-18-2016, 11:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Read the manual on the "Assyist"-----it's telling(programmed) to alert you to the fact that service is due.-----------

PS: don't change anything until you have read the manual or visited the service center for help!!
Old 07-22-2016, 09:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GL550
It's telling you that Service is is about to come due. Meaning it's time to be fleeced by the service department! There are different service levels A, B, C, D, E, F. ect... Each one of those levels means the type of service required. Usually the higher the letter the higher the cost or you need to pry your wallet open further so the service department can help themselves. After the date passes it will say you have exceed Service X by X days. I'm not sure what clock it's running off. But I don't get my full 10K out of it. I surmise it's time vs miles if you aren't racking the miles up. For me I have 36K on my 2012 GL550. I googled the service levels and found that most of them are comprised of "inspect" vs. actual work or replacing parts/filters, ect. In code that means little to none of the cost goes to actually doing anything but lining the pockets of the dealer. Find yourself an INDY, they are usually much cheaper and better. My in-laws own several lube shops and I use them at cost. I watch them do the work or I climb into the pit and do it myself. I refuse to pay the dealer 210 bucks for an oil change. Where most of the service/cost is spelled out as inspect. RIP OFF!! My local MD shop is awful and they also own the other closest one too! They work off appointments only, no drop offs. Appointments are generally 1-2 weeks out. You have to drop off to an off-site local as they have a inventory problem so they lock the lots up. Makes you feel like your ride is real safe!! NOT!! If you're under some time constraint you could be in a bind? They offer loaners which seems to be the driving force as to why the appointments are hard to get. I've tried both ways to get an appt. with and without a loaner and it's the same same time frame to get in. Like the prior post says, don't reset it unless you have the work done.