Notices

W211 E500 Temp Gauge High Read Solved

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1984 300SD. 1999 SL500. 2001 S500. 2003 ML500 AMG Sport.; 02 CL600 AMG Sport 04 e500 Wagon Sport
W211 E500 Temp Gauge High Read Solved

Short and Sweet:
we live in a hot place but my 2004 e500 sport wagon has car temp on the dash board that is always 10 or 20 degrees higher than the outside temp, or any of our other car temps.
if its 90 or 95 degreees outside, my dash will read 105 and up most of the time.
I thought we were in an unusual heat wave, till my wife ratted it out, after we switched cars.
Also, I had the Jet Turbo helicopter sounding fan on most of the time, announcing my arrival from 2 1/2 blocks away.

solution:
Go to the Drivers side Front of car (2004 e500 wagon)

I recommend mend waiting till the next morning before the car is driven, so that it will be cool to avoid it being Hot

step 2
Using the 8mm Socket and wrench, remove the 4 to 6 srews holding the smaller front plastic under cover from the car.

Easy Peasey, only needed to pull 3/4 of cover down.

Front Right (Driver's side ) under cover lowered.

step 3:

look up and around behind the uppper bumper/lower grill

And look for a dangling sensor on a twister wire...

Here it is: the thermometer culprit;
Fell out of the whole it belongs in and starts reading the heat from the engine compartment instead of the outside. And i think this contributes to the super ultra high fan power selection by the mb car system.

Who knew? There is a little whole down here... push the culprit back in and all of the way through so that it plugs in firmly and sticks out through to the cars outside

Nice and comfy, back where it belongs.
(I'm so sorry my car is dirty and that this dead fly bellow the sensor is now immortalized on line).
I used electrical tape to try and secure the plug in place

My car's temp now reads 86 degrees and the vehicle fan can just barely be heard. Neighbors and family no longer know i am arriving from two blocks away.

Aloha

Last edited by Hula Girl; 09-18-2016 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Spelling error edits