Notices

Mercedes CLK 320 no start just a clunk from starter help??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes 320 clk
Mercedes CLK 320 no start just a clunk from starter help??

Hey guys my name is samuel, I recently purchased a non running CLK 320 1999 automatic. Basically when you attempt to start the car you get an attempt to crank from the starter like a clunk then nothing, The previous owner had it as a second car, and had owned it since it was 2 years old problem free then one day got in it and all it did was the clunk sound, he had. A new starter motor fitting and brand new battery fitted still the same fault he said his mechanic managed to start the car but not from the ignition so maybe by jumping the starter direct I assume, but he decided to cut his losses sold as non runner, I sent the EIS away tested it as all working fine. The battery seems to only read about 11.8 volts attached jump packs other batteries to it only seems to creep to about 12.2volts checked there’s power at the starter. My brother checked yesterday with a multimeter what voltage read when attempting to crank at the starter and he thinks it was showing 2volts max. I’m no electrical minded person but some how seems to be loosing power somehow when the ignition is under load and cutting the starter off. Has anyone come across this fault before? Any help would be appreciated I have read no start fault on forums but never like this. I checked obvious battery grounds and fuses seem okay didn’t think it would be starter relay as it seems to be getting some power to the starter as getting that clunk engage attempt. Looking for suggestions before I take it to a garage thanks.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
why don't you start where the other left off applying battery voltage directly to the starter----does it crank!!