Test Use this forum to test posting messages and pictures before posting on the actual forum. If you are a new user, this is a great place to learn how to post.

Brake Pads and Rotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Pads and Rotors

I have a 2001 ML320 Sports with almost 50K miles on it and have never replaced the rotors. On this kind of vehicle, is it normal to have the rotors replace with these number of miles? Can it be be re-surfaced?
Thanks in advance for input.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:29 PM

2001 E320 (210.065), Brilliant Silver; 2002 Ducati ST-2, Arrest-me Red
There's no need to replace them...

unless they're warped or otherwise damaged. MBZ says not to resurface their rotors, so if they *are* warped, replacement is the ticket. MBZ uses fairly soft pads (which is part of the whole brake dust issue), which are much easier on the rotors, thus extending their life.

If you do need replacements, autohausaz.com and autopartswarehouse.com both sell stock and upgraded rotors at a great price and they both do free shipping at the $50 price point. I only mention those two because I've done business with both and have been very satisfied.

If you're replacing pads it's always a good idea to use some emery cloth on the swept surface of the rotors to clean them up and remove any glazing so your new pads will bed in better. Use gentle pressure and circular patterns; a sanding block is a good idea so you even out the pressure. Don't use power sanders, though, unless you are a professional.

Good luck and enjoy (stopping) the ride,
Greg
Old 04-18-2005, 06:27 PM

ML 320 Brakes

Thanks Greg !
Do you know the OEM brand name for the ML 2001 rotors and brakes?
Thanks again.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:04 PM

2001 E320 (210.065), Brilliant Silver; 2002 Ducati ST-2, Arrest-me Red
Brands

I'm not entirely sure what they might have put on. From what I've heard they may use a couple of different suppliers, so you'd have to physically pull the rotors off to see what you have on there if you care. The ones the MB places spec as OEM would be in the same vein, so if all you need is OEM any of those would be okay (ATE, Zimmerman, etc.). The ones at autohausaz.com are Zimms for just under $48 for the (vented) fronts and $41.55 for the (solid) rears, each of course. Not bad pricing at all, and I'm always impressed when I get something that heavy shipped to me for free.

If you want to improve your brake performance there are lots of alternatives, but be prepared to open your checkbook much wider.

I think the ML is a sweet vehicle; I had one as a loaner when my E was at the dealer. Has yours seen much downtime for reliability?

Take care,
Greg

Last edited by Gregs210; 04-18-2005 at 07:05 PM. Reason: dumb typo