Notices

San Antonio Mercedes Club Has Formed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 01:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
San Antonio Mercedes Club Has Formed

Do you own a Mercedes, want to be involved with like-minded enthusiasts, but are tired of the stodgy, fossilized, sit-around-the-restaurant-table typical MB Club crowd? Owning a Mercedes is supposed to be fun! Coincidently, that’s also what a car club should be. And a Mercedes - especially the performance models - is perfect in a car club setting. But a car club is equally about people and the events that are conducted. It’s no fun being a part of a car club of snobs, egos, and/or boring folk who do not appreciate the intrinsic driving thrill of a well-tuned Mercedes.

Understanding that inherent problem with many car clubs, a growing group of us have formed a group in San Antonio centered on the Mercedes and Smart brands. After all, they are cousins of one another and share the same dealer. More accurately, we have broken away from the national behemoth Mercedes-Benz Club of America to form an independent Mercedes-Smart club in the San Antonio area. Don’t be turned off by the Smart car aspect – our Smart car members are speed freaks who enjoy the 1/4-mile as much as driving the back country roads! We are incredibly unpretentious, wildly fun-loving, we love to drive and frequently make scenic runs and road trips around the Texas Hill Country and the environs of San Antonio. Oh, and did I mention we are ‘free’… literally. There are no dues, no obligations (other than to have fun), no BS and no garbage. Just fun.

We are off to a great start (actually began last summer) and have a great mix of cars (mainly SL’s and V12’s) and, of course, people! It's people that make a club. The cars draw us together, but people make it fun! Our group, the Alamo Mercedes-Smart Owners (AMSO), is not affiliated with the MBCA. We got tired of the dull, two-dimensional view of events, gatherings, and ‘business’ as well as the refusal to consider more positive direction. When a club becomes a business, it’s no longer fun. We’re drivers, who love to get out and see the open road as a collective group. Having years of previous car club and planning experience among the executive team, we’re not a flash-in-the-pan! We’re committed and dedicated to growing, based on what the members want to do!

We meet 3 times a month, not to go overboard, but to ensure all our members have an opportunity to ‘play’ each month. We have all had experiences with some car clubs who are restrictive, having only one event a month. If someone happens to be busy that particular day, the member may not be able to have fun with friends for another month, maybe two. So we meet frequently and always centered on the cars. And we love to drive! At least 2 of the monthly events involve driving together as a group to someplace new, different, off-beat, scenic, etc. And we strive to get spouses involved, as well. We’ve done winery tours, scenic runs through back country roads, runs to the coast, etc. Later this month for example, we’re making a high-speed run up TX-130 – through the posted 85-MPH highway section. The fastest legally posted section in the US. Way cool!

We’re on Facebook (Alamo Mercedes Smart Assn) and on the web (http://alamoareamercedessmartassociation.webs.com/), so feel free to come check us out. The Facebook page is run by our Secretary (a rabid performance Smart car owner!), who keeps it just a little loose but always in control. The website has some past events, etc. so you can see that we really are a fun-loving group. Got questions? We’ve got answers! Shoot me a PM or respond here – we’re not shy! Once you poke around and ask a question or two, we’re sure you’ll find us the car club you’re looking for. See ya ‘round the bend!

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 02-13-2013, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63
Hi, can you recommend a shop in San Antonio for PPI? Thinking about getting back into an AMG again.

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2013, 05:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Originally Posted by tweakit550
Hi, can you recommend a shop in San Antonio for PPI? Thinking about getting back into an AMG again.

Thanks!
I used Eurasian Auto Repair for the PPI of my S55 and they nailed all the issues, including some subtle ones. Don’t worry about the company name; they specialize in MB’s. Give John Ly (Service Manager) a call. Price is reasonable. Of course, he'll offer to make all the repairs, but I believe he gives a fair assessment. For me, I did the bulk of the repairs myself. They're good folks, just a bit full of themselves on occasion.
Eurasian Auto Repair
11234 Gordon Rd., suite D
San Antonio, TX 78216
(210) 490-6552

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 02-13-2013, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63
Thanks for the recommendation Jeff. I gave them a call. They also said Ford ESP warranty is good to go with if I decide to buy a car. They sounded pretty knowledgeable and even mentioned some of them own AMGs.

Originally Posted by MB-Dude
I used Eurasian Auto Repair for the PPI of my S55 and they nailed all the issues, including some subtle ones. Don’t worry about the company name; they specialize in MB’s. Give John Ly (Service Manager) a call. Price is reasonable. Of course, he'll offer to make all the repairs, but I believe he gives a fair assessment. For me, I did the bulk of the repairs myself. They're good folks, just a bit full of themselves on occasion.
Eurasian Auto Repair
11234 Gordon Rd., suite D
San Antonio, TX 78216
(210) 490-6552

Cheers,
Jeff