Notices

Local Northern NJ indy shop will not work on the car because I bought the parts...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 09:43 PM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic Sport
Local Northern NJ indy shop will not work on the car because I bought the parts...

My 2018 E300 4Matic needs some maintenance, and I did not like the price the local dealer gave me. Very expensive! So, I decided to get some parts -- a new battery, spark plugs, and windshield wipers -- from a different local MB dealership. A friend of mine has an account there and was able to get me a substantial discount. Got the parts and called a local indy shop. Pretty well known in the area, been there a long time. I was a customer there 20 years ago. So I called, told the guy what I was looking to do. He asked what work did I want done and where did I get the parts. I told him and I said I got the parts from a dealer. He said, well, when we do the spark plugs, we do the coils too. I said, I don't need the coils replaced, the service schedule doesn't call for it, and if the car was misfiring or something like that, and it was the coils, it would be covered by my warranty. He said, well, we don't work on cars where customers buy/bring their own parts, even if they are parts from MB. I said really, he said yes, we just don't do that.

I was surprised. There's another indy shop, but it's almost a half-hour from me, and I am hesitant to use that one for other reasons. There's a few others that aren't as well known, and the dealer told me there are some nuances with installing the battery and "programming" it via the software, and if it's not done correctly, the original error message will still be present, the check engine light will not be turned off, and other error messages can appear.

I guess the indy shop wants to make as much as they can -- both on parts and labor -- and won't just do the labor. On one hand, I get it, on the other, I find this hard to believe.

Anyone ever run into this? Thanks.
Old 04-25-2024, 07:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cl500
I heard the same from Indy shops.

I think we should name the shops. Keeping it a secret doesn't help other forum readers.
Silverstar motors is a very reputable shop and I have met the owner Tito at the Benz club events. Doesn't allow for bring your own parts.

Wolfgang's in tenafly also has a no byop policy.

Euro tech in Edgewater also has a no byop policy.

I have a list of NJ shops in case you need to see them
https: //maps.app Dot goo DOT gl/n6ujhsnjSYiD4GB78

Last edited by Gunter Benzmeis; 04-25-2024 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-25-2024, 11:43 AM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by Gunter Benzmeis
I think we should name the shops. Keeping it a secret doesn't help other forum readers.
Silverstar motors is a very reputable shop and I have met the owner Tito at the Benz club events. Doesn't allow for bring your own parts.

Wolfgang's in tenafly also has a no byop policy.

Euro tech in Edgewater also has a no byop policy.

I have a list of NJ shops in case you need to see them
https: //maps.app Dot goo DOT gl/n6ujhsnjSYiD4GB78
Add Bells Service (Paramus) to the list that will not do BYOP.