V-Class 3 generations with first production year 1996...... V 230, V 280, V 200 CDI, V 220 CDI; Vito: Vito F 108 CDI, Vito F 110 CDI, Vito F 112 CDI, Vito F 113, Vito F 114; Marco Polo: Vito MP 108 CDI, Vito MP 110 CDI, Vito MP 112 CDI, Vito MP 113, Vito MP 114; Sprinter James Cook

importing JAMES COOK Sprinter from Germany

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
importing JAMES COOK Sprinter from Germany

I'm looking to find information on whether this is possible or if anyone can share their success or failure in importing a MB Sprinter. I am specifically interested in importing a James Cook Westfalia/ RV outfitted Sprinter.

I was told that for US Sprinters, the car/engine is built in Germany, and made US compliant in the US upon arrival (and rebranded Dodge Sprinter). Apart from whatever modifications may be made to the engine, they are essentially the same engine.

I'm getting conflicting information from various importers/conversion companies. Some saying that a petition needs to be made for this engine, it's expensive (not worth attempting), and there is a company that say it's completely do-able.

The Mercedes Sprinter is on the LIST OF NONCONFORMING MOTOR VEHICLES
CAPABLE OF BEING MODIFIED BY A REGISTERED IMPORTER
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...LIG010906.html

I pointed the fact that that the sprinter is on this above list, and the imported said that it pertains to cars that are already US compliant?!?!?!?

I would be registertering the vehicle in California. The Dodge Sprinter is sold in California, as is the Airstream Sprinter Westfalia (a simlar US model).
http://www.airstream.com/product_lin...alia_home.html
Before anyone asks why i'm going through the hassle of importing it when similar thing is available.....it's because i currently own the James Cook, live in Germany and am moving to the US. I'd LOVE to bring my cherished car with me. It's too expensive to buy the US airstream version, not to mention they butchered the look of the car.

Any suggestions and information is welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by RubyRed123; 03-21-2006 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E320CDI, CLK55, and a Smart
Call George @ G & K Automotive Conversion Inc - 2.9 miles S - 3231 S Standard Ave, Santa Ana, 92705 - (714) 545-9503

He is a registered importer. Call him and see if he is up to the task.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:20 PM

Spoke with George

He was one of the importers that said the engine required a petition, it would cost alot of $$ and time. There wasn't much optimism in his response.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:07 AM

'06 Range Rover, '06 M5, '66 2CV....I wanna SMART ForTwo Conv.
Go to Airstream.com...................they import the Westfalia Sprinter.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:23 PM

'06 Range Rover, '06 M5, '66 2CV....I wanna SMART ForTwo Conv.
OOPS! My apologies. I didn't read that you already knew about the Airstream.

Yeah, unless the vehicle has the same engine as the Sprinter's currently imported and can be modified to comply, your only route would be to get your engine type certified.

I've been looking at Airstream's myself lately (I want an Interstate) and I did find a used 2005 Westfalia with under 20,000 miles for the mid $50k's. I think they sticker around $90k.

Bottom line..............unless you're vehicle has programs for compliance by BOTH DOT and EPA, then you are looking at big bucks, lost time, and red tape.