V-Class 3 generations with first production year 1996...... V 230, V 280, V 200 CDI, V 220 CDI; Vito: Vito F 108 CDI, Vito F 110 CDI, Vito F 112 CDI, Vito F 113, Vito F 114; Marco Polo: Vito MP 108 CDI, Vito MP 110 CDI, Vito MP 112 CDI, Vito MP 113, Vito MP 114; Sprinter James Cook

Anti roll bar drop link mystery

Old 05-18-2019, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W639
Question Anti roll bar drop link mystery

So, the question is....what sort of front end knock (low speed over bumps, right hand side) goes when you remove the drop links but ISN'T the drop links or the anti roll bar bushes (unless there is some special way to fit them)? Likely to be worn parts as mileage is 220,000

Finding the intermittent knocking from the front right suspension on small potholes beyond annoying, I replaced the usual suspects (bushes, shock absorber bearing and drop links). Knocking persisted, so experimentally I removed the drop link, and hey presto no more knocking. Puzzle is I have renewed both bushes and both links, so the knocking must be coming from something that is worse when the drop links are in, but isn't the drop link (or bush) itself.

Bushes and links were all fairly worn, so I thinking that renewing them removed some 'slack' from the system and now something else is knocking as there is no play in the bushes/links.

As they only connect to the anti roll bar and the shock absorber I reckon it must be one of them that is now knocking (when the drop link is in). But I also figure that the shock absorber must still be under the same loading without the drop link as with it, and I can't see what the bar could be hitting (even though it is well restrained now).

Car passed MOT inspection last week, which I know is no guarantee of spotting wear and tear, but at least means nothing obvious is wrong.