V-Class 3 generations with first production year 1996...... V 230, V 280, V 200 CDI, V 220 CDI; Vito: Vito F 108 CDI, Vito F 110 CDI, Vito F 112 CDI, Vito F 113, Vito F 114; Marco Polo: Vito MP 108 CDI, Vito MP 110 CDI, Vito MP 112 CDI, Vito MP 113, Vito MP 114; Sprinter James Cook

Is this the Sprinter forum? Need some help with a Sprinter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 01:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
W220 V12TT Land Yacht / W211 E55 Estate
Is this the Sprinter forum? Need some help with a Sprinter

Before I get jumped for being a n00b, I am just trying to help out a friend of mine (like a lot of people) that has fallen on hard times due to covid... They have a 2010 sprinter 2500 with 120K miles that they were using for their party planning business, but they have been killed over the last year and are needing to sell the truck due to the failing business. They need to get every penny they can out of it and know that they are gonna get slaughtered if they cant get it running properly. I am totally out of my wheelhouse with the Sprinter

These are the chief complaints:

Vehicle stalls at low speeds/neutral with any type of throttle input. It also doesn't have much power at higher speeds.

Codes: Attached images from scanner

What I have found/completed:

1. Confirmed that the fuel filter and heating element are the correct corresponding part numbers (I found that as an issue online)

2. Took a fuel sample (no water/contaminants)

3. Attempted to perform a Re-gen - vehicle will not re-gen

4. If I start the van and blip the throttle, the truck will stall. If I rev the van out until it registers a fuel code, it will not stall out until I turn the car off. (almost like it goes into a limp/fuel safety map to keep it from stalling)

5. Doesn't feel like the van has a traditional "misfire" - it runs smooth, just low on power with a check engine light(and of course the stalling and high speed complaint)

6. There are NOx sensor codes and rail fuel pressure codes, however I dont know if one is causing the other, or if they are separate/unrelated.

My thoughts after doing some research online (Sprinter Gurus, please chime in here):

1. The Re-gen procedure will not occur with NOx emission codes.

2. I was suspecting the fuel pressure SOLENOID (not the fuel pressure sensor) in the left fuel rail (P/N 6420702795). I believe this part is not working properly, and causing an issue with fuel pressure. Unfortunately from what Ive been told, it is not sold separately from the rail, which is $1500 retail (my cost $1200). Not only do I not want to take a chance that this expensive part is the issue, but they just cant afford to be wrong... GEEZ I had no idea the parts on these vans were so expensive.

3. A friend of mine is a benz tech and told me that he thought some of these vans had a "recall" or a TSB (Technical service bulletin) that extended the emissions equipment on these vans. I called my local benz dealer who has a "sprinter expert" and said an emissions bulletin is supposed to be released in the near future, but has not info on what exactly is covered or when it will be released by MBUSA, so no help there. I was hoping at least to have a replacement NOx sensor replaced for them for free, but no such luck.

Additional questions:

1. How many NOx sensors does this van have? and are they a routine failure item?

2. Would a bad NOx sensor cause a fueling issue? Or could a fuel pressure issue cause the NOx faults?

3. Not that I really suggest using used parts, but money is a concern for these people. Is there a good/reputable resource for buying good used parts for Sprinters?

I'm scratching my head with frustration just trying to help them out and I'm in complete disbelief to see how expensive these parts are, so I cant "just throw parts at it."

Thank you all for the help in advance!!! This truly will be a good deed done for some people in need.

-Jon

Old 03-06-2023, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2500 sprinter
You may have a turbo problem. Try a quick shot of starting fluid around the turbo seals and see if engine rpms go up. If so you have a leak. Also on hoses to intercooler. Bad turbo make you lose power, but that's the extent of my knowledge. Hope this helps... how many miles are on it?
Old 03-07-2023, 09:40 PM

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts
E Coupe C207, ML W166, ML W164, Sprinter 1500/144, W111 SB220 Fintail(s), A5 chassis Beetle 5+5
https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-forum-76/