V-Class 3 generations with first production year 1996...... V 230, V 280, V 200 CDI, V 220 CDI; Vito: Vito F 108 CDI, Vito F 110 CDI, Vito F 112 CDI, Vito F 113, Vito F 114; Marco Polo: Vito MP 108 CDI, Vito MP 110 CDI, Vito MP 112 CDI, Vito MP 113, Vito MP 114; Sprinter James Cook

Vito won't start/crank - Gearbox problem??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2023, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2007 Vito 115Cdi 4matic
Vito won't start/crank - Gearbox problem??

So, as i mentioned in my hello… my old new Vito is already making me grey. It’s a 2007 W639 115Cdi 4matic with 722 auto box.

When purchased, the buyer told me it sometimes gets stuck in the 2nd to last gear and wont shift to the last, probably the transmission conductor plate. Driving the 1000km home it did it twice on the highway, I pulled over and stopped, Park, off 2min, restart, all fine.

Got home, drained trans fluid and changed conductor plate, refilled with the exact amount and that’s where things started getting hairy..After changing fluid, went for a drive, all ok, except it got stuck in a gear again. I checked the fluid with Febi dipstick, showed it way overfilled. So I drained off oil until it read correctly on the stick, but the van became undrivable! Wouldn’t go into gear, just sort of shudders and goes rum-rum-rum when pressing on accelerator but wont engage the gear (R or D).

Added fluid bit by bit until this disappeared, and it would engage the gear properly again, but now showing way overfilled on the dipstick again?! Van would start, run and drive ok, but the gearbox seemed “bizarre” – sometimes completely fine, other times getting stuck in fourth, bad shifts, loud clunck when shifting from D to R or N … And then sometimes fine again. I reckoned this could be incorrect oil viscosity (triple checked the standard and its correct spec) or sypmtoms of too much oil in the box? However, van still started and drove.

Then few days ago, go to start and the Van just wont turn over?! Turn the key, steering lock comes off, all dash lights come on then go out as normal, but when I turn the key NOTHING. No click, no whirr, nothing just dead.

Battery is fine (checked, charged, tried jumping from another MB diesel ), brake light switch throws an error when I take it out and gone when I put it back so don’t think its that, shifter module in the center console has been cleaned and is proper – no fluid spills recently. Checked all fuses and relays and they all seem fine.

Tried again today and noticed that when I shift the car to D, R or N and then back to park, switch off the ignition and on again, it will crank over once (or like half a crank) and then again nothing.

I’m thinking Cranks sensor ? Cam sensor? Something I messed up in the gearbox?

If anyone can help with suggestions I’d really be most grateful…