Vendor Group Buys Group purchases offered by our supporting vendors.

Any interest in lightweight flywheels, either M111 or M271?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:41 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Any interest in lightweight flywheels, either M111 or M271?

I talked to the rep from Fidanza at the Pa SEMA show two weekends ago, and of course asked about MB applications. While not directly laughing in my face, it was close.

Anyway, he gave me two options.
1) a one-off would run about $1,500
2) if we could pull 10 or more into a gb, it would run 400-500 each

I'm trying to gauge here to see if there's any interest to see about option #2. If not, I still may do option #1 by myself (depending on my upcoming bonus at work).

I did check on Saturday, and unfortunately, the M111 does not share the same flywheel with the M271. So, if there's any interest, post up. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 CLA 45
Originally Posted by tommy
I talked to the rep from Fidanza at the Pa SEMA show two weekends ago, and of course asked about MB applications. While not directly laughing in my face, it was close.

Anyway, he gave me two options.
1) a one-off would run about $1,500
2) if we could pull 10 or more into a gb, it would run 400-500 each

I'm trying to gauge here to see if there's any interest to see about option #2. If not, I still may do option #1 by myself (depending on my upcoming bonus at work).

I did check on Saturday, and unfortunately, the M111 does not share the same flywheel with the M271. So, if there's any interest, post up. Thanks.
i have NOOOOO idea what a flywheel is. maybe you can explain it in little detail what exactly it is and what it does. hp gains i guess, but how much porbably?
Old 04-19-2006, 11:45 AM
Out Of Control!!

This for manual transmission-equipped cars - a lightened flywheel will have less parasitic drag on your engine, and allow you to put more hp down where it should be going - the wheels. I had one put on my crx, and the difference in how quickly the car revved (and came off when not in gear) was substantial. It's a pretty normal available mod in most cars with moderate aftermarket support - ie, most everything except for Mercedes.

EDIT: There's a great article in howstuffworks.com about how a manual transmission system works, if you're still confused.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
Tommy, you are acurate in what you said. I did this in a 93 Integra.

However, you don't get something for nothing. While you gain faster acceleration down low, you lose some oomph when passing at freeways speeds. TANSTAFL boys. (Please somebody tell me you know what that means)

Ed
Old 04-19-2006, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by emrliquidlife
TANSTAFL boys. (Please somebody tell me you know what that means)
Ther Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch (but I thought it was TINSTAFL). I had a lightweight aluminum clutch and flywheel assembly on one of my cars and you definitely can blip the throttle quicker. As long as you stay in the upper RPM range it has an advantage but for normal city driving it's at a disadvantage. But then again, if you cared about normal city driving you wouldn't be modding the drivetrain....would you
Old 04-19-2006, 12:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Yeah, with a 7200 redline and a 4-1 header, I'm not too concerned about down low power on that car.

However, I have seen two camps on the torque loss concept. My thoughts are that a non-radical decrease in weight will give you decent upside with minimal downside.