Vintage Mercedes-Benz Owner Registry Member owned Sedans, Coupes, Cabriolets and Roadsters, circa 1970 and prior

W11W111 chassis 1st version transmission linkage problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 12:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1964 Mercedes Benz 220S W111 chassis, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport
W11W111 chassis 1st version transmission linkage problems

Need clarification. Does it matter which trans rod attaches to the column shift linkage ?
I have a curved trans rod ( at the top of the column shift linkage ) and attaches to the upper transmission lever ( on top of the transmission ). I have a straight trans rod ( at the bottom of the column shift linkage) and attaches to the side lever of the transmission. I have a 1st version w111 linkage. Thanks folks for any help you all can give ! A new member, Paul 1964 Mercedes 220S

I will send photos. With this setup, and it seems logical, the transmission is not shifting at all
and is stuck in only 1 gear. I have replaced the three bushings in the steering wheel column and shifter. I have replaced the 2 bushings that attach to the column shift linkage.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:49 AM

Well , good news . I contacted a mobile mechanic in the San Diego area ( Eric's Mobile Mechanics). He looked at my pictures and the bent transmission mount and driveshaft coupling that I replaced myself. He sized up the situation fast. I have linkage issues. He re-adjusted the shift rod ( had to bend it a little) and adjusted both shift rods from the column assembly so the connections were within factory specs. Took him about 1 1/2 hours with an assistant and the transmission shifts into all gears. Now I plan to have a paint complete.
Old 12-08-2020, 06:38 PM

An update on my car: Had to curtail the paint complete. The transmission was not working correctly. Had to take to a professional shop that only worked on German vehicles. The upper shifter lever on top of the transmission case was not moving correctly back and forth. The shop removed the transmission and found that there was a bad shift pawl inside the transmission and replaced it.

How does a pawl work?
When the handle is turned in one direction, the pawl slides up and over the gear teeth, sending the pawl into the depression before the next tooth. When the handle is turned in the opposite direction, the pawl stops the movement.

Old 12-10-2020, 03:57 PM

Good afternoon here in California,

We need a retard only distributor ( either new or used).

We now have on the vehicle a retard and advance distributor and have been told by a
professional shop that we have the wrong distributor in our car.

Does anyone know where we can buy a retard only distributor that could be used in our 6 cylinder
straight line engine , 1964 Mercedes Benz 220S chassis 111.012 ?