W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60

Fianlly Test Drove W210 E55 today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2005 | 01:38 PM

2002 E55, Black on Black
Fianlly Test Drove W210 E55 today

Thought I would share my thoughts (and help give more weight to the W210 side of this message board), since I'm looking at purchasing a 30-50K mile '01 or '02 model.
Appearance wise, the car is classically beautiful. I liked the black more than the silver they had -- sets off the wheels nicely, but both are pretty. Interior had a sort of "old car" smell -- not a bad smell, just that kind of sweet smell aging leather gets. I think I prefer the two-tone interior -- all black with black wood is a bit dour for my tastes (love the ruby, but can't find one anywhere near Atlanta). Command was nice -- gave the interior a bit of contemporary flavor otherwise a bit lacking. Love the dash -- very classy and very Mercedes, which I think some of the newer models lack.

The drive was impressive. I know its now W211, but this thing will move. Power delivery is very strong, if not quite intoxicating. Kind of like the car is saying "yes I'm hauling butt, but let's not make a big fuss over it, ok?" Exhaust was pleasant but a bit muted. Absolutely loved the "instant on" power these engines provide.
Handling actually impressed me the most. From reading some of the prior posts on this subject I expected it to wallow more and exhibit turn-in reluctance, but I was very impressed. Car goes where you point it, and is amazingly nimble for a car this size. Didn't think the feel was that different than my current C320 sport, which is a much smaller car. I didn't push any limits mind you, but this car seems to hold its own.
The particluar car I drove felt like it had a bit of chassis flex over rough pavement, and a few minor squeaks over it as well. Not sure what to make of it. Perhaps just this particular car, perhaps just that it is a 4 year old car on a dated chassis design -- have to test drive another to be sure.

Overall, I'd describe the feel as "impressively stately." Very understated, very classy, but has no problems pinning you in your seat if you desire, showing tailights to most anything in its class.

Only real disappointment I felt was in the brakes, but I have a feeling it was this particular car (this was high-end used car dealer, car bought at auction, so not unexpected). They didn't stop particularly well, required a lot of pedal travel before anything occured, and had that non-smooth uneven feeling as the car stopped, as if the brakes were grabbing harder during a particular point of wheel rotation.
Anyway, that's about it. Gonna test drive a few more around town with some lesser mileage to get a better picture, and see if I could live without Bluetooth and OEM sat. radio. This is one heck of a performance sedan, for sure.
Old 10-21-2005 | 01:49 PM
Banned

w210 E55
Originally Posted by r_liebo
Thought I would share my thoughts (and help give more weight to the W210 side of this message board), since I'm looking at purchasing a 30-50K mile '01 or '02 model.
Appearance wise, the car is classically beautiful. I liked the black more than the silver they had -- sets off the wheels nicely, but both are pretty. Interior had a sort of "old car" smell -- not a bad smell, just that kind of sweet smell aging leather gets. I think I prefer the two-tone interior -- all black with black wood is a bit dour for my tastes (love the ruby, but can't find one anywhere near Atlanta). Command was nice -- gave the interior a bit of contemporary flavor otherwise a bit lacking. Love the dash -- very classy and very Mercedes, which I think some of the newer models lack.

The drive was impressive. I know its now W211, but this thing will move. Power delivery is very strong, if not quite intoxicating. Kind of like the car is saying "yes I'm hauling butt, but let's not make a big fuss over it, ok?" Exhaust was pleasant but a bit muted. Absolutely loved the "instant on" power these engines provide.
Handling actually impressed me the most. From reading some of the prior posts on this subject I expected it to wallow more and exhibit turn-in reluctance, but I was very impressed. Car goes where you point it, and is amazingly nimble for a car this size. Didn't think the feel was that different than my current C320 sport, which is a much smaller car. I didn't push any limits mind you, but this car seems to hold its own.
The particluar car I drove felt like it had a bit of chassis flex over rough pavement, and a few minor squeaks over it as well. Not sure what to make of it. Perhaps just this particular car, perhaps just that it is a 4 year old car on a dated chassis design -- have to test drive another to be sure.

Overall, I'd describe the feel as "impressively stately." Very understated, very classy, but has no problems pinning you in your seat if you desire, showing tailights to most anything in its class.

Only real disappointment I felt was in the brakes, but I have a feeling it was this particular car (this was high-end used car dealer, car bought at auction, so not unexpected). They didn't stop particularly well, required a lot of pedal travel before anything occured, and had that non-smooth uneven feeling as the car stopped, as if the brakes were grabbing harder during a particular point of wheel rotation.
Anyway, that's about it. Gonna test drive a few more around town with some lesser mileage to get a better picture, and see if I could live without Bluetooth and OEM sat. radio. This is one heck of a performance sedan, for sure.
Get one.................you will not be disappointed

I have had mine for almost 4 1/2 years now...........no problems...just looks
Old 10-21-2005 | 02:46 PM

Mercedes-Benz
You are spot-on about its stately demeanor. My main complaint w/ my 210 55 was that it felt its size. IMO, it did not handle that well. But, it was something that probably could have been easily remedied w/ an aftermarket suspension set-up. I also wish that the exhaust wasn't as muted. Nevertheless, I still feel it is/was a great car. And, if it wasn't for my 211, I'd still be in a 210.