Sponsored by:

E55 Rotor Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 Rotor Question

Apologies in advance if this question has been answered before

My 99 E55 is in need of new rotors... was wondering if anyone knew of an aftermarket rotor that specifically fits as a direct oem replacement part that might perform a little better?

Brembo seems to have a rear OEM upgrade rotor but not a front? Perhaps Brabus?

Want to avoid the cost of an entire brake upgrade (calipers, etc.), but figured since dealer $ on the OEM rotors is so high I might as well look into paying a little more (or maybe even less?) for a performance aftermarket replacement if it's drop-in?

I'm in Los Angeles if anyone knows of any good shops to take it into... (i've heard of RB Tech in downtown and Evosport but have been to neither)...

Many thanks in advance!!
Old 08-13-2002, 08:28 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may want to try irotors they may have them. Or you can try RBTech La and Evosport. They may have them.
Old 08-16-2002, 11:21 PM

thanks & results

Thanks to everyone who sent me replies!

For the sake of closing out this thread i'd like to contribute the result of my findings:

1. Brembo does not make an aftermarket drop-in replacement for the front OEM e55 AMG brake rotor.

2. Brembo does make one for the rear e55 brake rotor, which can be purchased from evosport for $229 apiece.

3. Brembo also makes an F50 braking kit which replaces the rotors, calipers, pads, and lines, available from evosport for $3,695 not including labor. A similar kit with slightly smaller front rotors is also available for the E series for $3295. FWIW the replacement rotors in either of these kits cannot be used without replacing the associated parts (calipers, etc.).

4. The stock AMG front e55 rotor is a two-piece unit and costs approximately $400 per rotor (!).

5. So, ultimately, I have been unable to find a drop-in replacement for the OEM e55 front rotor, althought it does seem to be possible to purchase the AMG rotors and have them crossdrilled by evosport, should that be desired.

Thanks again to everyone who spent time helping me come to these conclusions. Unless someone informs me otherwise, I've decided to replace the rotors with new factory AMG rotors... (for now ).
Old 08-17-2002, 03:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 13.1" Brembo Gran Turismo Big Brake Kit off of my CLK for sale. This kit utilizes the Ferrari F50 caliper (same as 14" kit), and provides excellent stopping power. The kit retails for $3295 new, and if you'd like can be yours for much less. I have put abotu 4-5,000 miles on the kit, so there is plenty of life left. If you're interested, please email me for details.

Thanks,

Ben
Old 08-28-2002, 04:21 PM

What did you end up doing??? I was curious about this too when it comes time to replace pads / rotors with OEM equivalents.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:19 PM

result

After much more research and deliberation I was really unable to find any aftermarket drop-in replacement for the front rotors, and did not want to deal with the cost ($3k+) or trouble (rental cars, etc.) of having to upgrade the entire front braking system, so I chose to bite the bullet and go with the authorized factory service to maintain the "stockness" of the car as well as prevent any question of warranty status... as always, got the free loaner, experienced great customer service, and managed to beg successfully for a discount while I was at it...

Front rotors worked out to something like $270 apiece, plus I needed new pads which were about a billion times more expensive than I thought they would be... Turns out I needed rear rotors too, at which point I almost cried about until I heard those were only $65 or so... I guess the rear system shares components with the S class, making them more common/cheaper.

Overall the total service was PAINfully expen$ive, but I'm very very happy with the results. (if you really want the total cost you can email me, I can send you a copy of the loooong invoice) The braking feel has improved tremendously and the car simply rocks now. Though there are probably better solutions for more $, the AMG system is no slouch IMHO - I don't take the car to the track (yet) so for now things like fading, etc, have been a non-issue.

So, at the end of the day I'm pretty happy with my decision to stay stock.

Hope this helps, please feel free to email me if anyone wants more specific info on this topic, i feel like i've now researched it to death
Old 08-28-2002, 08:33 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bushidoh

What kind of car do you drive? Do you have pics??

thanks!
Old 08-28-2002, 09:28 PM

standard issue

JameE55--

sorry no pics, pretty much a standard issue '99 E55... Silver with all Anthracite interior, I think the only options for 99 were phone & CD changer, both of which are in the car and working (yes even the analog phone is working! I have cellular service with each and every provider and must say there's nothing like a 3W boosted analog phone when all the other digital signals fade out :p ).

I've installed *minor* improvements like door sills, clear side markers, etc, but have steered clear of major upgrades -- it's very much my sleeper car so I haven't done too much to it at all... nor do I wish to bring any more attention to it... (although i can certainly appreciate all the beautification on this newsgroup, it's just not my thing)

I did swap out the MB cassette deck (Audio 30 I think) for an in-dash MB cd deck (Audio 10 CD I believe) -- best thing I ever did to this car. Found one new from some guy in Europe on ebay... It still works with phone integration and IMHO sounds and works much better... Not a week goes by when I can drive by Amoeba or Virgin without stopping by so I love having the in-dash CD + changer in the back (I rarely use tapes).

Another thing I might upgrade is the air filters, but Performance Products tells me the 99 E55 has a different airbox than the 2000+ models, and K&N does not make one to fit the 99 airbox... which I'm not sure if there's any truth to, perhaps someone here knows?

I've been meaning to tint the windows also but can't find a vendor who still sells the same platinum tint (very subtle light grey, can barely tell it's there but is polarized and blocks a ton of heat and UV) I had done to my Volvo Wagon a while back at Solar Art... Plus I hear tinting the E windows are somewhat problematic due to the tight seals?

Oh yeah, I've also been meaning to install the BEL975R four-piece hardwired radar/laser unit sitting on my desk - I haven't gotten around to it but with the way this car drives I regret not doing it sooner (I just got another speeding ticket last week, scary thing is I never realize I'm speeding in this damned thing)

I really do enjoy the car, actually fell in love with it a while back at some AMG invitational where I almost lost my lunch being hot-lapped around in a Black E55 by a factory driver... I like that it's not about performance-at-no-object (which I've lived with), but rather subtle-implementation-of-beastly-performance...

This is a cool newsgroup, glad to be a member...

Cheers