W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E55 Member Poll

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11/E63-Former car: '05 RT4 E55, Sprintbooster, Phenolic Spacers, RT IC /Secondary HE & BMC Filters
E55 Member Poll

questions- yes/no

if you were to mod the 55 w/ stage 1 or 2, given all considerations (dealer/warrant, low/high profile etc.):

1) badge decklid/trunck or leave e55 amg badges at stock?
2) change front hood upright badge to flat hood badge?
3) do rear spoiler or just leave curves as stock?

separate-how many have changed their 18" Conti II treads for 19" and done new rims? how many have left amg rims and 18" but decided new tire make vs. Conti II's-what are best other treads?

thanks all...trying to budget for some poss. changes and have found the forum to be extremely insightful/thoughtful. good 4th to all.

**how many have said the heck with it all and just left bone stock?
Old 07-04-2006, 03:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
You will fnd all types on here. The E55 is such a versatile car that it can scratch quite a few itches, depending on slight mods. Some members have gone all out with the appearance and performance mods. There has been a huge trend lately of 19 and 20 inch rims. Mine are still stock (kind of), but I will be getting my aftermarket rims soon. I will stay with 18s, and I do not know if anyone ese here is running aftermarket 18s. From what I gather, most have been able to "tune" the 19s for a nice compromise of looks and ride. Others have taken the next step to 20s. The only feedback I've gotten about these setups is that the ride gets rougher as the profile is lowered (as it should). I personally have not tried them so I can't tell you about it.
Debadged, for sure.
Flat "AMG" badge...oh yeah
Rear spoiler..yup yup (I got the MB 3 piece, but there re many)
I plan a stage 2 for now. I have checked out a few with the stage 2 kit and I like the chanes. My service dept has no warranty issues with any of those bumps (I asked, since I'm chicken).
Now, yes there are MANY members that keep their E55s bone stock and yes they will still woop some butt!!! The stock look is a nice, because the BEAST is such a sleeper.
My advice would be to drive it around and do the mods that you want. Don't worry about what others are doing.

Enjoy the E and lets see some PICS!!
Old 07-04-2006, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
All stock badges
Flat hood badge
50/50 on the rear spoiler
50/50 on the front air dam spoiler as well
Tint windows
Lighter brake rotors
Lower car slightly
Lightest forged 20" wheels
Add all bolt on engine performance and exhaust mods available,unfortunately I would rather not jepordize my warranty so I'll do as much as I can get away with.So far I think I can do almost everything listed but the ecu reprogramming might be a tough one.I have all of the windows tint now,but not sure if I like it or not.The windshield is some what blurry at night,not a good thing to have.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
You tinted your windsheild?
WOW, if so please post some pics!! What % up front?
Old 07-04-2006, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by jangy
You tinted your windsheild?
WOW, if so please post some pics!! What % up front?
Its so lite that you couldnt tell from pics.Its more for the UV protection than to block out the brightness.At night it makes some of the led traffic lights look blurry,like when you have been swimming in a pool with alot of chlorine for to long! LOL Not sure if I like it or not yet.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I was under the impression that Autoglass had UV protection, is that not so? something about you can't get a tan through the glass or something. I dunno if that was a wive's tale or what. Either way that sounds interesting.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by jangy
I was under the impression that Autoglass had UV protection, is that not so? something about you can't get a tan through the glass or something. I dunno if that was a wive's tale or what. Either way that sounds interesting.
I have no idea.The guy said this tint would stop alot of the uv rays and whatever it is that ruins the interior.I just wanted to try and keep the interior from getting beat down on.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:04 PM

'11/E63-Former car: '05 RT4 E55, Sprintbooster, Phenolic Spacers, RT IC /Secondary HE & BMC Filters
any issues w/ CA smog given mods any of you have done. heard Kleemann is only CA Carb legal but any mods okay as long will pass smog (infer most lite mods will)? thanks.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by m52e55
any issues w/ CA smog given mods any of you have done. heard Kleemann is only CA Carb legal but any mods okay as long will pass smog (infer most lite mods will)? thanks.
The most I've done towards that end is removing the resonators and working a bit on the intake. That will not affect smog checks. The big question is usually the cats (mine are all intact). The smog laws are very specific about what deviations from factory setup are allowed. For example, the actual position of the cats is not to be moved without SOME justification. The offroad crew I hang with simply climb over a rock and smash the cat, therefore it needs to be replaced. Then, they go replace it with a race cat. Passes smog, etc. But, technically, we can't just swap out or move the cats for no reason. Go figure.

All the major tuners offer parts for CA cars, no just Kleeman.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
comments below in bold

Originally Posted by m52e55
questions- yes/no

if you were to mod the 55 w/ stage 1 or 2, given all considerations (dealer/warrant, low/high profile etc.):

1) badge decklid/trunck or leave e55 amg badges at stock?
------ leave emblems... black them out
2) change front hood upright badge to flat hood badge?
------ flat AMG emblem
3) do rear spoiler or just leave curves as stock?
------ rear spoiler
separate-how many have changed their 18" Conti II treads for 19" and done new rims? how many have left amg rims and 18" but decided new tire make vs. Conti II's-what are best other treads?
------ went with 20" yoko AVS but with probably go with PS2's next round.

thanks all...trying to budget for some poss. changes and have found the forum to be extremely insightful/thoughtful. good 4th to all.

**how many have said the heck with it all and just left bone stock?
Old 07-04-2006, 08:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by dragonAMG
comments below in bold
Dragon's is definitely a unique look. Very nice looking Silver!!

By the way m52E55, you never told us what the car has on it, color, etc...Some mods from MbenzNL may be worthwhile. I love my folding mirrors and AMG lit up sills.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:51 PM

brilliant silver/drk charcoal. 319 lighting pkg, keyless go-all options ex-panorama. bone stock now but thinking of RENNtech stage 1 & possibly decklid spoiler & flat front badge. mod concern mainly smog and dealer warranty since bought cpo and has extended running through 2012.

who cares now, but prior to e55 (just bought a few months back on early lease return)-had 2002 e39/m5-s-dinan charged (cold air intake, s2 software download, free flow exhaust & badged), carbon blk/blk & all options/'97 993 Carrera w/ Porsche factory sound.
anyway, glad to have found way home w/ the 55-members here best so far-imho.

Last edited by m52e55; 07-04-2006 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
If your concern is voiding your warranty, keep in mind that some dealerships actually sell and install the package you speak of. Also, I haven't done any engine work, yet but you may want to ask about here to see which tuner and package you want (hint hint).
Old 07-05-2006, 03:25 PM

2006 E55 AMG
I wouldn't debadge. Also, I really don't like the flat hood ornament. The star reminds me of a gun site...looking for the next prey. As for modding, let's not forget Renntech. Wheel size, of course, depends on what you want; looks or hook-ups. For me, it's all about planting the power. I'll stick with 18's when I finally get tired of the OEM rims.