Need some help on warranty mystery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E55, Black on Black
Need some help on warranty mystery

About to purchase a used E55. Factory warranty will expire in 2 months, but
seller says he bought Starmark warranty from the dealer he got it from. Problem is he has no paperwork. So I called my local dealer's service dept., they initially showed no extended warranty, but when I asked them to check that, they found it. However, when I got transferred to the warranty department, they told me the extended warranty was powertrain only
Called the seller, he had the dealer who sold him the car call me, and they confirmed that the car was Starmarked and showed so in the system, but couldn't provide me any paper documentation that the warranty is extended.

So, now I"m totally confused. How can I ocnfirm that the car has the Starmark FULL warranty for another year? The only hard evidence so far is the "Starmarked" sticker on the car.
Any suggestions would be a great help. Love the car, but powertrain isn't enough coverage.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
There are two types Starmark warranty, premium and powertrain. Dealer will have all the information in the computer regarding what type of warranty the car has even you have no paper work to show for. Chances are the seller only purchased the powertrain warranty and not the full version. I purchased the premium warranty for my 2002 E55 and it works just like the original warranty. It covers just about everything except the audio/phone system. My suggestion is dont' bother if it only has powertrain warranty. Other things will break way before the powertrain die. Good luck.

John
Old 09-12-2006, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 563 Likes on 372 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
You're going to have to roll over an anti-tank mine to put a powertrain warranty to use, if it doesn't have the full warranty, don't get it. Or you'll be replacing air shocks and SBC pumps all day long.