Noobie: Euro springs PLUS Bilstein sport shocks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'00 E55, 05 C55, '99 328i
Noobie: Euro springs PLUS Bilstein sport shocks

Hi Folks:

I'm new to the forum but have spent a bit of time cruising the site. I havea 2000 E55 and recently ordered the Euro springs for them with the hope of achieveing a slight drop without compromising ride quality. However, I'm curious whether given the change to euro springs and probaly thinner spring pads, I'd be better off also changing out the Bilstein HDs to the Bilstein Sport shocks. If anyone had used Bisltein sport shocks with the Euro springs, I'd really appreciate your input. If not, any good insights would he most helpful. I don't want to waste the money if I don't need the Bilstein sports because it would make no differene, but if it would help the look, handling etc. then I'm all for it.

Thanks in advance . . .
Old 05-24-2007, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Originally Posted by ZE55
Hi Folks:

I'm new to the forum but have spent a bit of time cruising the site. I havea 2000 E55 and recently ordered the Euro springs for them with the hope of achieveing a slight drop without compromising ride quality. However, I'm curious whether given the change to euro springs and probaly thinner spring pads, I'd be better off also changing out the Bilstein HDs to the Bilstein Sport shocks. If anyone had used Bisltein sport shocks with the Euro springs, I'd really appreciate your input. If not, any good insights would he most helpful. I don't want to waste the money if I don't need the Bilstein sports because it would make no differene, but if it would help the look, handling etc. then I'm all for it.

Thanks in advance . . .
Do you know the specs on the Euro springs? Are they that much shorter than the US AMG springs? If so, then I would agree that you should definately change your shocks to the shorter Bilstein sports...
Old 05-24-2007, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by jimmydagreek
Do you know the specs on the Euro springs? Are they that much shorter than the US AMG springs? If so, then I would agree that you should definately change your shocks to the shorter Bilstein sports...
My understanding from reading here about it is that they are only slightly shorter, but valved same as HDs. Apparently it's only a .75" drop at most, but I figured combined with smaller pads maybe I get close to an inch. I know I probably don't NEED to change to the sports, but I'm curious whther under those circumstances I'd get a better combo of handling and ride quality if I did change to the sport shocks.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
96 P993T, 00 E55, 09 SL63
I have Euro E55 springs on my 00E55 but I use Koni shocks.

My car came with pad #3 fr and #4 rear. I changed to #2 fr and #3 rear when I installed the Koni.

Had #1 allround with the Euro springs and do not like the ride (too harsh). Plus had uneven inside tire wear with #1 since too much camber

FYI, the euro E55 AMG uses the same shocks as the US E55 AMG (same part numbers, only the springs are different).

Last edited by E55MKB; 05-25-2007 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by E55MKB
I have Euro E55 springs on my 00E55 but I use Koni shocks.

My car came with pad #3 fr and #4 rear. I changed to #2 fr and #3 rear when I installed the Koni.

Had #1 allround with the Euro springs and do not like the ride (too harsh). Plus had uneven inside tire wear with #1 since too much camber

FYI, the euro E55 AMG uses the same shocks as the US E55 AMG (same part numbers, only the springs are different).
Thanks for your input. How was the ride after changing pads? I sure hope that with the #2 and #3 pads your ride is not as harsh. I don't have a huge problem with my suspension (I drive the car 5 k miles or less a year) so I'm trying to be really cautious about tweaking it, but had gotten the impression that the Euro springs automatically preserve the ride quality. Doesn't sound like it from your experince. I'll just have to hold off 'til I can get something along the lines of Kleeman set up or its equal. Thanks again!