Sponsored by:

Bad Vibes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 12:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 E55 AMG
Bad Vibes

Wow, that minor vibration during idle hasn't gone away... I asked some guy today who worked on cars before told me that my fuel injectors are dirty and to buy a cleaner and pour it in my gas tank. Well the car doesn't seem to be performing at it's max either... yesterday I pushed it, traction kicked in stopped the wheel spinning and I got kicked into the seat... today, no kick in the seat or feeling of yesterday. Hmm, something's going on. Plus Rusnak Mercedes in Pasadena is charging me 130 bucks for a diagnostics. WOW.

Any advice?
Old 09-12-2007, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 S550
Looked through your previous posts and didn't see if you have an extended warranty or not? If not...is it an option? Good luck!
Old 09-12-2007, 03:21 PM

2000 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Nocturnal-G
Wow, that minor vibration during idle hasn't gone away... I asked some guy today who worked on cars before told me that my fuel injectors are dirty and to buy a cleaner and pour it in my gas tank. Well the car doesn't seem to be performing at it's max either... yesterday I pushed it, traction kicked in stopped the wheel spinning and I got kicked into the seat... today, no kick in the seat or feeling of yesterday. Hmm, something's going on. Plus Rusnak Mercedes in Pasadena is charging me 130 bucks for a diagnostics. WOW.

Any advice?
(1) My best guess is that the vibration issue is probably due to worn engine mounts. Unless you are an accomplished MBZ mechanic, you are better off addressing this issue at the stealership, or a reputable independent shop in your area. (2) But, before you go that route, and given your erratic power issues, I may recommend replacing your MAF sensor. It may fix all your current issues. It's an easy DIY (do it yourself). The stealership will charge you in the neighborhood of $400+ for the part, and another $400+ for the labor. Here's a link to reputable indy dealer charges $247 for the same part: http://germanimportedparts.com/Catal...ogResults.aspx (3) Do your own diagnostics. Here's a link to an affordable OBDII scanner ($33.99 shipped): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...spagenameZWDVW
Old 09-12-2007, 05:50 PM

2002 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by chuck57
Looked through your previous posts and didn't see if you have an extended warranty or not? If not...is it an option? Good luck!
Nope, I don't have an extended warranty.

Originally Posted by ruBENZ
(1) My best guess is that the vibration issue is probably due to worn engine mounts. Unless you are an accomplished MBZ mechanic, you are better off addressing this issue at the stealership, or a reputable independent shop in your area. (2) But, before you go that route, and given your erratic power issues, I may recommend replacing your MAF sensor. It may fix all your current issues. It's an easy DIY (do it yourself). The stealership will charge you in the neighborhood of $400+ for the part, and another $400+ for the labor. Here's a link to reputable indy dealer charges $247 for the same part: http://germanimportedparts.com/Catal...ogResults.aspx (3) Do your own diagnostics. Here's a link to an affordable OBDII scanner ($33.99 shipped): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...spagenameZWDVW
Today 11:00 AM
Well I guess you are right, since MAF's are known to go out at 60k (my car has 57k on it)... but I wonder what the MAF has to do with vibration? I guess I will just buy the OBDII scanner, I know a few guys in my town who fix Benzes... it's just stressful because you never know what they will do to your car.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:15 PM

2000 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Nocturnal-G
...but I wonder what the MAF has to do with vibration?...(
The MAF (mass air flow) sensor reads the amount (or mass) of air intake so that the ECU (engine control unit) can deliver the correct amount of fuel to the engine. Thus, if the MAF sensor is defective then the ECU is not delivering the correct amount of fuel (or too much fuel), and your engine is having a seizure. As long as we are on the topic of fuel. It may behoove you to replace the fuel filter as well. That may be your cheapest fix. Get the OBDII scanner and read the codes. BTW, 0170;0173 will confirm defect MAF sensor.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:20 PM

2002 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by ruBENZ
The MAF (mass air flow) sensor reads the amount (or mass) of air intake so that the ECU (engine control unit) can deliver the correct amount of fuel to the engine. Thus, if the MAF sensor is defective then the ECU is not delivering the correct amount of fuel (or too much fuel), and your engine is having a seizure. As long as we are on the topic of fuel. It may behoove you to replace the fuel filter as well. That may be your cheapest fix. Get the OBDII scanner and read the codes. BTW, 0170;0173 will confirm defect MAF sensor.
Sounds good... Will Autozone provide the OBDII scanning for free? I've heard that around... if not I will just buy the scanner. Thanks Ruben, you've been a great help.

PS. I'm averaging 18 MPG which I do not drive on the highway... and btw, can I have a defective MAF without the Check Engine Light coming on?

Last edited by Nocturnal-G; 09-12-2007 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:28 PM

2000 E55 AMG
1) I believe Autozone provides free OBDII scanning. 2)18 mpg is very decent 3) Yes, the CEL will not illuminate until the MAF sensor completely craps out. But, a scan may pick up the codes (0170;0173) in the early stages of it's demise. Good luck.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
I bought mine at autopartswarehouse.com. It's around $210 (I got it for $125 a long time ago after like 40-50% coupon I found in the internet ). There may be some coupons out there that you could use.

It's Bosch (OEM)... so guaranteed to be compatible. Don't buy non-branded one from eBay....

Anyway, I wrote a little step-by-step guide for MAF replacement. It's a straight-forward DIY.... Good luck!

https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....66&postcount=5
Old 09-13-2007, 02:20 AM

2001 E55K
My MAF was bad at 33k... my shop data logged it and it only showed about 200 kg/hr when it should have been about 900 kg/hr @ redline! (with Kleemann charger). Motor mounts will look dirty if they've failed; you will see the oil has leaked out.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:11 AM

2002 E55 AMG
Thanks guys!!! Major! And thanks Zoink for that DIY... I really needed that since I'm new to cars.

PS. I heard it misfire today! So I believe that's a MAF problem?