VROOM tick-tick-tick-tick

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 09:53 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 S600 Black/Black
Question VROOM tick-tick-tick-tick

I am still infatuated. In any restaurant we go, I must sit at the front window, facing outside, to watch for potential door dingers, and remind myself, by streching my neck every 20 minutes, that the car is indeed REAL. My wife now accepts this without too much frowning.

The Beast is in perfect condition EXCEPT:
There is a "tick-tick-tick-tick" coming from the engine at idle speed after "spirited driving", left-side facing engine (right side of car). Popping the hood does confirm it's coming from the block, so my own guess would be that a valve adjustment is needed.

It's due for service in 2700 miles and I will certainly be asking the mechanic (ok, the service rep/coffee boy).

Hard to accept if it's just one of those normal things - it doesn't sound completely normal. However, I have had another vehicle that clicked and tapped when it got hot.

Anyone have advice on this? Do I need to actually start controlling my right foot urges or is this a cureable engine anomoly?

E55Bliss
Old 10-28-2002, 10:25 PM

I think that one review of the e55 's engine said"it sounds like-gasp-a diesel. I
I think its a very normal sound this car makes. I have 01e55
Old 10-28-2002, 10:34 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 S600 Black/Black
I'm sure you're right. It becomes most noticeable after very aggressive driving.

I suppose I shouldn't expect the engine to purr like a kitten after roaring like a tiger...
Old 10-29-2002, 12:10 AM

it is OK

the sound you hear is just the hydraulic lifters clattering. It happens when the oil temp goes up and it thins out... pretty normal on alot of high performance engines...