Sponsored by:

TouchShift

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 E55 AMG
TouchShift

Is there a proper way to use the "tiptronic" mode? LOLLLLL... I'm very new to this concept and today was the first day I used it. The car was jerky... and it felt more powerful, different sound too! I think I'm liking this mode, is there anyway I can harm the engine or transmission by using this mode? Today "TouchShift" made me forget about all my problems. Especially after I raced a SVT Cobra.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:33 PM
Out Of Control!

Tiptronic? Interesting. I don't have tiptronic but i do have Monkeytronic. Works wonders for my skin complexion.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:00 AM

2002 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by JamE55
Tiptronic? Interesting. I don't have tiptronic but i do have Monkeytronic. Works wonders for my skin complexion.
LOLLLLL, I bet it does! HAHA
Old 10-05-2007, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Old 10-05-2007, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Nocturnal-G
Is there a proper way to use the "tiptronic" mode? LOLLLLL... I'm very new to this concept and today was the first day I used it. The car was jerky... and it felt more powerful, different sound too! I think I'm liking this mode, is there anyway I can harm the engine or transmission by using this mode? Today "TouchShift" made me forget about all my problems. Especially after I raced a SVT Cobra.
There's no real secret or way to harm the engine just keep it under the redline!
Old 10-05-2007, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E55 AMG
The beauty of tiptronics is that you can create you own shift points. Thus, simulating a manual transmission. Generally, these shift point will be at a higher rpm which you have defined as power and sound. Obviously, this application is most advantageous in a racing scenario. As for daily driving, smooth shifts are difficult to achieve in the manual mode. Hence, the jerky feeling. I prefer the automatic adaptive mode, and save the manual mode for off the line sprints. BTW, you will not harm the transmission nor the engine applying the manual mode. But, I do get the feeling that my transmission will live longer in automatic adaptive mode.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:07 AM

2002 E55 AMG
So if I keep it under redline I'm fine? LOL... cuz ruBENZ is saying it can't harm anything really. I have no problem upshifting, downshifting is the problem. LOL, I guess I'll just have to work on it... IF it doesn't harm the tranny or the engine. LOL, after I using the manual mode, I turned off my car and heard a clicks that I never hear. HAHA, I guess I wasn't shifting great... at all.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So if I keep it under redline I'm fine? LOL... cuz ruBENZ is saying it can't harm anything really. I have no problem upshifting, downshifting is the problem. LOL, I guess I'll just have to work on it... IF it doesn't harm the tranny or the engine. LOL, after I using the manual mode, I turned off my car and heard a clicks that I never hear. HAHA, I guess I wasn't shifting great... at all.
If you heard "clicks" coming from your car after you drove it hard and then turned it off, that was probably coming from you catalytic converter, no worries...
Old 10-05-2007, 09:22 PM

2002 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jimmydagreek
If you heard "clicks" coming from your car after you drove it hard and then turned it off, that was probably coming from you catalytic converter, no worries...
Hehe, today was fun going to school. HAHA, YAY I got 14 MPG today instead of the usual 12. HEHE. Today was a good day.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:11 AM

2000 E55 AMG
Hehe, today was fun going to school. HAHA, YAY I got 14 MPG today instead of the usual 12. HEHE. Today was a good day.
Dude, change your MAF sensor; you'll get at least 16-18 mpg city.

Last edited by ruBENZ; 10-06-2007 at 01:18 AM.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:26 AM

2002 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by ruBENZ
Dude, change your MAF sensor; you'll get at least 16-18 mpg city.
It's not my MAF, I highly doubt it... I scanned twice (nothing came up). Plus I cleaned it, still nothing. And I've been driving it for a month like this, no CEL or it getting worse. Well you tell me, since you most likely know more than me because I'm new to cars.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2000 W210 E55// 2007 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner
paddle shifters

be awesome to wire up some paddle shifters...I'm sure it's possible..the lever shifter actuates electronics right?
Old 10-12-2007, 12:42 PM

2000 E55 AMG
It's not my MAF, I highly doubt it... I scanned twice (nothing came up). Plus I cleaned it, still nothing. And I've been driving it for a month like this, no CEL or it getting worse. Well you tell me, since you most likely know more than me because I'm new to cars.
The MAF will not produce a CEL (codes: 0170;0173) until it has completely crapped out. From your previous posts, I have determined that you have an issue with your MAF. Cleaning the MAF is either temporary, or useless, if your MAF is on the verge of crapping out. The difference between a new MAF and a worn (even if it still functions) is phenomenal. A way to determine if your MAF is going south is to go WOT (wide open throttle) when you are at highway speeds. Then count the seconds it takes for the torque (blast off) to kick in. A healthy MAF will take less than two seconds. A worn MAF will take more than three seconds. Just my three cents...inflation
Old 10-12-2007, 08:15 PM

2002 E55 AMG
The MAF will not produce a CEL (codes: 0170;0173) until it has completely crapped out. From your previous posts, I have determined that you have an issue with your MAF. Cleaning the MAF is either temporary, or useless, if your MAF is on the verge of crapping out. The difference between a new MAF and a worn (even if it still functions) is phenomenal. A way to determine if your MAF is going south is to go WOT (wide open throttle) when you are at highway speeds. Then count the seconds it takes for the torque (blast off) to kick in. A healthy MAF will take less than two seconds. A worn MAF will take more than three seconds. Just my three cents...inflation
Hehe, looks like I'm going to have fun on the freeway. HEHE.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:52 PM

2000 E55 AMG
Hehe, looks like I'm going to have fun on the freeway. HEHE.
LOL
Old 10-13-2007, 02:16 AM

2002 E55 AMG
LOL
Would a 100 MPH qualify for highway speeds?
Old 10-13-2007, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
You might want to get that checked out...