Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 02:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W211 E63
Steering Wheel Off

SO I've had a bunch of work done so far...transmission fluid and fliter change, fuel filter changed, control arm bushings replaced including alignment, and I will be going in this weekend to get my engine mounts replaced.

I thought the control arm bushings and alignment would fix the steering wheel problem I have, which is that in order for me to drive straight ahead the steering wheel needs to be turned 15 to 20 degrees to the left. Should I put the steering wheel in its proper posititon, the cars "pulls" to the right about the same as if the steering wheel was nuetral and I turned 15-20 degrees to the right.

Does anyone know why this is occuring even though I just had an aligment? Is there a way to reset the steering wheel back to a neutral position?
Old 10-16-2007, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Originally Posted by SleepersRock
SO I've had a bunch of work done so far...transmission fluid and fliter change, fuel filter changed, control arm bushings replaced including alignment, and I will be going in this weekend to get my engine mounts replaced.

I thought the control arm bushings and alignment would fix the steering wheel problem I have, which is that in order for me to drive straight ahead the steering wheel needs to be turned 15 to 20 degrees to the left. Should I put the steering wheel in its proper posititon, the cars "pulls" to the right about the same as if the steering wheel was nuetral and I turned 15-20 degrees to the right.

Does anyone know why this is occuring even though I just had an aligment? Is there a way to reset the steering wheel back to a neutral position?
When they aligned the steering wheel should have been placed in the proper "straight" position. Where did you have the alignment done???
Old 10-16-2007, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Let me understand your issue first....

When you release the steering wheel, is your car pulling to the right or is the car straight but the steering wheel is not straight?

If the first, I think it may be due to the fact that Bay Area highways are typically "tilted" to the right. My W211 does the same thing especially on high speed on the highway. At low speed (40-50mph) on some local roads, the car runs straight and the steering wheel is also straight. Also make sure that the "pull" is not due to your tire pressure, tire treads, road treads (??? not sure what to call it), etc.

I know my W211 may still have less than ideal alignment due to the fact the 1st alignment was not done properly (car severely pulled to the right and 90% cured after 2nd alignment). I also felt my W210 was less sensitive.

If the latter, I think you just need to redo your alignment.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:31 PM

2008 W211 E63
Originally Posted by jimmydagreek
When they aligned the steering wheel should have been placed in the proper "straight" position. Where did you have the alignment done???
Got the alignment done at Flethcher Jones MB in Fremont, CA.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:32 PM

2008 W211 E63
Originally Posted by zoink
Let me understand your issue first....

When you release the steering wheel, is your car pulling to the right or is the car straight but the steering wheel is not straight?

If the first, I think it may be due to the fact that Bay Area highways are typically "tilted" to the right. My W211 does the same thing especially on high speed on the highway. At low speed (40-50mph) on some local roads, the car runs straight and the steering wheel is also straight. Also make sure that the "pull" is not due to your tire pressure, tire treads, road treads (??? not sure what to call it), etc.

I know my W211 may still have less than ideal alignment due to the fact the 1st alignment was not done properly (car severely pulled to the right and 90% cured after 2nd alignment). I also felt my W210 was less sensitive.

If the latter, I think you just need to redo your alignment.

I will have them try and redo the alignment. I will also check the tire pressue all around.