E50 Pre-Purchase help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W123 & W124
E50 Pre-Purchase help

Hi,

I currently own a few MBs(2-w123 and 1-w124) and would like to know more about the E50. I read that it only came out as a 1997 model and engine comes from the S500. In testing it yesterday, I found a few trouble spots and would like to hear your input whether i should take the car or leave it and keep on looking. Here's what I found so far:

1.) rear vent has no air whatsoever, cool or hot. - (possible clogged filter?)
2.) there's a tiny oil leak on the front end of the engine. possibly an oil seal for the timing chain?( it's the black round plastic with a wire harness attached to it )
3.) radiator has a tiny leak which will also be resolved by new radiator hopefully. - still needs to be negotiated
4.) side mirrors on both side does not work but seller has offered to install new ones if I do decide to purchase it.(will the facelift(with blinkers) side mirrors fit these?)
5.) rear view mirror is a bit loose. - have not talked to the seller about this yet.
6.) there's a small rattle inside the dashboard. not a big deal, just annoying.( how difficult is it to take out the dashboard? )
7.) on some potholes, there's a small rattle on the drivetrain which is possibly just worn suspension bushings due to age.

Aside from these, everything else seems fine. The car runs great and couldn't find anything else wrong...yet. Should there be anything in particular you guys could suggest I look into as pre-purchase checklist of some sort? I read that there was a recall on the harmonic balancer on the w210s, would this be included? Thanks in advance.

Pat
Old 12-04-2007, 07:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1999 E55, 2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by SilE50
Hi,

I currently own a few MBs(2-w123 and 1-w124) and would like to know more about the E50. I read that it only came out as a 1997 model and engine comes from the S500. In testing it yesterday, I found a few trouble spots and would like to hear your input whether i should take the car or leave it and keep on looking. Here's what I found so far:

1.) rear vent has no air whatsoever, cool or hot. - (possible clogged filter?)
2.) there's a tiny oil leak on the front end of the engine. possibly an oil seal for the timing chain?( it's the black round plastic with a wire harness attached to it )
3.) radiator has a tiny leak which will also be resolved by new radiator hopefully. - still needs to be negotiated
4.) side mirrors on both side does not work but seller has offered to install new ones if I do decide to purchase it.(will the facelift(with blinkers) side mirrors fit these?)
5.) rear view mirror is a bit loose. - have not talked to the seller about this yet.
6.) there's a small rattle inside the dashboard. not a big deal, just annoying.( how difficult is it to take out the dashboard? )
7.) on some potholes, there's a small rattle on the drivetrain which is possibly just worn suspension bushings due to age.

Aside from these, everything else seems fine. The car runs great and couldn't find anything else wrong...yet. Should there be anything in particular you guys could suggest I look into as pre-purchase checklist of some sort? I read that there was a recall on the harmonic balancer on the w210s, would this be included? Thanks in advance.

Pat
i would move on and keep looking.. just my 2 cents

luis
Old 12-05-2007, 12:53 AM

W123 & W124
just for knowledge sakes, do you know why the rear vent would not blow any hot/cold air? could it be possible the ducting to the rear vent has been clogged? Would opening or closing the vent inside the console affect the air coming out the rear vent? The seller is very helpful though and would gladly have the mirrors and radiators changed to new.

Pat
Old 12-05-2007, 05:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1999 E55, 2005 E55 AMG
just for knowledge sakes, do you know why the rear vent would not blow any hot/cold air? could it be possible the ducting to the rear vent has been clogged? Would opening or closing the vent inside the console affect the air coming out the rear vent? The seller is very helpful though and would gladly have the mirrors and radiators changed to new.

Pat
Sorry i dont know about the vents, but if the seller i willing to repair or replace the problem thats a good thing. other than that just be carefull
Old 12-06-2007, 02:28 PM

3000 dollar SLK230
I owned one in brilliant silver, those arent too bad of problems that you have said. All can be fixed for not much money.

Whats the asking price? Is sold mine for 11000USD which was about 8600 EUR at the time
Whats your location? I was in rural western germany.
How many kms? I got mine with 146k and sold it with 190k

Those are the key factors.

did you look into the vent with a flashlight? have you read the owners manual? i believe it has to be on a certian setting to blow air to the rear. I think the foot/face setting.

Last edited by AndyW210E55; 12-06-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
The rear center vent problem might be that the vent ducts are not connected at the dash area..Ive seen several with this problem

The console might have been removed and the person that did this work did NOT double check his work
Old 12-07-2007, 09:28 AM

W123 & W124
Andy,
This is also in brilliant silver and this has been garaged. Paint is still in great condition especially for its age. The asking price is 18000usd. Has 83000km. I did try the foot/face setting and it did help a bit. What i found out that worked is i placed the center front vent to half open and more air came out the rear. I just found out about an hour ago after a brief underside inspection that the differential is wet but not dripping any oil, might just be differential housing gasket or oil seal. Also found that the inner sides of all tires are cracked so need new tires. I am leaning towards this car mainly because of the engine. thanks for the replies.

Mark,
I tried taking out the console to check on the ducts but I can't pull it out. I took out the shifter wood surround, the cig lighter box and took out the plastic cover in the back. I took out 2 screws by the ciggy box, 2 by the shifter and the console wouldn't budge. Am I missing other screws? Maybe below the rear vent somewhere? I followed the video on youtube but I guess I missed something somewhere.

Thanks,
Pat

Last edited by SilE50; 12-07-2007 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:43 AM

W123 & W124
I got it!

Update!

I took the car, installed new radiators, new stabilizer links and detailed inside and outside. Now runs like a champ. Thanks for the help.

Pat
Old 01-04-2008, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Congrats! I was just about to reply too but I guess you took care of the probs. Where are you located? Also, share some pics!
Old 01-05-2008, 12:03 AM

W123 & W124
Jimmy,
Yeah, the fixes were pretty straightforward. I'm in the philippines. Here's the pix as requested.
Attached Thumbnails E50 Pre-Purchase help-img_0026.jpg   E50 Pre-Purchase help-img_0027.jpg   E50 Pre-Purchase help-img_0032.jpg   E50 Pre-Purchase help-img_0034.jpg  
Old 01-05-2008, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Jimmy,
Yeah, the fixes were pretty straightforward. I'm in the philippines. Here's the pix as requested.
She's a beauty! The mother of the W210 E55..

I would only look into updating the steering wheel.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:27 PM

Received 216 Likes on 135 Posts
E55, 380SL, GLA 250 Sport, AMG GTS
These cars do have some nostalgic values so I would leave things as original as possible.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nice!!!
Old 01-05-2008, 11:09 PM

2013 E63 AMG
Sweet! You did the wright thing by purchasing that E50. Love it and the owner before you did keep it nice. Have fun with it. This was the car I always wanted before I saw the newer E55 body.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:49 AM

W123 & W124
Thanks Guys,

I appreciate the warm welcomes. I still need to redo the tint though as it's all scratched up in the back. I still need to do the plugs though just to be sure and some other maintenance parts. Needs a bit more cleaning too. Have you guys had experience with projector headlamps for these? A friend is offering to get me a set from HongKong. I told him, I'm happy with my current HID setup, just need to clean the lenses a bit. What I'm afraid off with the projectors are, who makes them? I wouldn't want to have an aquarium in my AMG. Anyway, installed T1S on them 245/40 and 285/35, front and rear respectively. All I can say is WOW, these tires grip.

Quick question:
I don't have the owner's manual. With regards to the A/C, do you guys turn off the blower when you leave the vehicle or just leave it as it is.

Last edited by SilE50; 01-07-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Guys,

I appreciate the warm welcomes. I still need to redo the tint though as it's all scratched up in the back. I still need to do the plugs though just to be sure and some other maintenance parts. Needs a bit more cleaning too. Have you guys had experience with projector headlamps for these? A friend is offering to get me a set from HongKong. I told him, I'm happy with my current HID setup, just need to clean the lenses a bit. What I'm afraid off with the projectors are, who makes them? I wouldn't want to have an aquarium in my AMG. Anyway, installed T1S on them 245/40 and 285/35, front and rear respectively. All I can say is WOW, these tires grip.

Quick question:
I don't have the owner's manual. With regards to the A/C, do you guys turn off the blower when you leave the vehicle or just leave it as it is.
Make sure that the shop replacing the tint knows how to remove the old tint so they don't damage your defrost lines. They have to lightly use steel wool to remove the old gummy glue that the old tint leaves behind.

Depo makes the best HID projector headlights but they're quite expensive and since you already have factory HID, IMO why spend the money right now.

In regards to the A/C, I always turn mine off when I turn the car off, in every car that I own too. I don't know but I just feel that there's too much engine strain when starting the car with the compressor still running. I could be wrong but why risk it when all you have to do is push a button, know what I mean.

Anyway, good luck and post some pics of the progress on your mods!