Fuel sending unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 CLS55 Renntech stage 5, 04 CL600 ( will miss ),02e55 , 11 R350
Fuel sending unit

This is interesting, a while back the fuel sending unit went out on my car, it will sometimes work, mostly not. Took to the stealer, got quoted an insane amount of money, instead I replaced it myself with an new OEM part, I cant imagine how I would have made a mistake in changing it , it is very simple. New one worked fine but the car sat around for all winter with minimal driving, the new unit has maybe 500 miles on it, now the same unit failed again !!!!! what gives ??? Has anyone had any problems with that sending unit, I know sometimes they fail but fail again with barely being used?
Cheers, Max
Old 03-15-2008, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 E55 AMG
Sometimes a build up of bad gasoline, or water etc. in the tank can create an environment that can cause sending units to fail.

I was told that by a MB Service Manager....as I mentioned before, I use the Chevron Techron gasoline additive (Fuel System Cleaner) in my tank every so often....and my sending unit works perfectly well. Don't know if that is why it does however?

Also you mentioned your car "sat all winter"....that can create water in your fuel and other issues....perhaps you should drain your tank and start over with a new unit? Wasn't the last one under some kind of a 90 day warranty at least?